Viewing distance from a Rear Projection TV

yo momma

Standard Member
Thinking of upgrading my 26" lcd to something bigger like a sony KD55A20S11XTNS. The only problem is that I would be sitting close to the display, about 1.5m-2m is this to close. I had planned on just getting a new lcd but Rear Projection seems great value for money.

It would be used for gaming and dvds so would there be a problem with screen burn. Thanks for any help you can offer.

NicolasB

Distinguished Member
Thinking of upgrading my 26" lcd to something bigger like a sony KD55A20S11XTNS. The only problem is that I would be sitting close to the display, about 1.5m-2m is this to close.
A little too close, I'd say.

You might this thread useful:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312431

Using the calculations explained in that thread, for a viewing distance of 5 feet (1.5m) a 1080p screen should be about 38". For six and a half feet (roughly 2m) you'd want a 50" screen.

Optimum viewing distance for the Sony is about seven and a half feet, assuming a good quality, 1080p feed.

yo mamma said:
It would be used for gaming and dvds so would there be a problem with screen burn.
No. Screen-burn only affects displays that are based on phosphors: conventional CRT, plasma, SED/FED, etc. Other display technologies such as LCD, LCOS, DLP, OLED, etc. don't suffer from it. This TV is an LCOS device (or, as Sony likes to call it, "SXRD", presumably because someone else has registered "LCOS" as a trademark. "SXRD" stands for "Sony Crystal Reflective Display." Apparently Sony spells "Xrystal" with an "X".)

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom