• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Viewing distance comparison and logic

MultiRoom

Long story short: I'm looking at replacing my 55 FZ802 for a 65 FZ802. For info these TVs are 4k, as I'm sure most of you know.

My seating distance is just over 8 feet from the TV. I rarely watch 4k content. I always, and for the foreseeable future, will watch 1920 x 1080 content.

All the calculators say that for 1080p content the viewing distance should be, at a minimum, just over 8 feet for a 65 inch. For a 55 inch they say, at a minimum, it should be 6.8 feet.

With that logic, to see what content will look like for me at my max distance of just over 8 feet on my proposed 65 inch replacement (the wall doesn't allow my seat to go any further back) would it be logical to sit at 6.8 feet from my 55 inch TV to see what the experience would be like if I did upgrade to the 65 inch?

Given I'm at the absolute minimum distance I want to see if it's worth upgrading to the 65 inch, given all other things are equal.

TIA

simonlewis

Distinguished Member
At over 8ft seating distance i would go for a 75" tv.

MultiRoom

At over 8ft seating distance i would go for a 75" tv.
Thanks for the quick reply. I can't go over 8 feet. There is a wall behind me, and despite that, 75 inch OLEDs would require me to sell a few organs.

I take it from your response, however, that viewing a 65 inch screen, with 1080p content at 8 feet wouldn't be a problem?

Would moving towards my current 55 inch to 6.8 feet allow me to simulate a 65 inch at 8 feet, given that these two distances are the minimum recommended for each screen size?

Last edited:

simonlewis

Distinguished Member
If you can't afford a 75" tv i would stick to a 65" but your viewing distance would need to be around six feet.

MultiRoom

It was more to simulate the experience of a 65 inch with my 55 to see how I get on. Until that 65 inch is up on the wall I won’t know, so I want to see how it looks by sitting closer to my 55 inch. What do you think?

simonlewis

Distinguished Member
Yes you could certainly try, or you could cut a piece of cardboard to the same size as a 65 inch and see how you get on.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Would moving towards my current 55 inch to 6.8 feet allow me to simulate a 65 inch at 8 feet, given that these two distances are the minimum recommended for each screen size?

Yeah, although that's simple geometry. Try an apparent size or angular size calculator if you want confirmation.

The viewing distance calculators were designed around the time when there was a choice of resolution to help people decide whether it was worth spending extra on the higher resolution screen. Most of them aren't great as general guidance for what sort of size you should go for.

simonlewis

Distinguished Member
It was just a suggestion to see how you cope with a 65 inch tv in your room, if you can accommodate a tv that size then please ignore the comment.

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
OP - just get the biggest TV you can afford and worry about it later!

Forget all that stuff about ideal distances. You've already said you can't go any further back, but can move forward. This gives you some leeway for experimentation about an ideal distance for YOU.

We can get too hung up on formulas and calculations, resolution and brightness. Just get a big screen, set it up right and enjoy your content.

For what it's worth, like many on here, I started with a 40", then upgraded to 50", then 60" till where I am now at 65". At no point have I ever changed my viewing distance of nine feet. It may not be "ideal", but it works for me!:)

Last edited:

ahsoka

Standard Member
I sit 6 1/2 feet away from my LG 65C8 and I reckon it’s just about perfect. Far away enough that it doesn’t feel like I’m on top of it but close enough that it feels nice and big. I have no issues at all with 1080p content.

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
If you can't afford a 75" tv i would stick to a 65" but your viewing distance would need to be around six feet.

I’d love to go back to an 80s/90s version of avforums. I’d guess most viewing distances haven’t changed much - our houses are still small and I’d guess most people have 8-10ft viewing distance. Back then 21” crt was probably average but now even 65” isnt enough. For a movie experience - sure. But too Big can surely be fatiguing for ‘regular‘ TV?

humphrey

Standard Member
It's a concern (being 'too' big) that I have had for some while as I edge towards thinking of upgrading my Panasonic 42" plasma which has been a good friend to me. My living room has a centre-wall chimney and the 42" sits nicely off it's wall bracket to the side of the chimney breast (room is approx 10' x 12'), with horizontal centre positiond at eye level.

With the push for 55"+ TVs seeming to be the norm, I'm interested to know how people cope in terms of location and proximity. Do they simply dominate the room? Don't they overwhelm? I get motion sickness if I'm too close to my projector screen <9ft.

Gaslight

'Viewing Distance' Calculators are so full of BS. Theres one on this forum that is quite ridiculous, so I would choose logic over so-called 'science'.

I honestly feel its best to try multiple sizes ion your room. Technically my room can house an 88"! according to that 'calculator' but realistically, 65" was to big for comfortable viewing, and I sold it and settled with 55" which is perfect with all the benefits and none of the viewing stress.

This is for everyday use. If Ihad a dedicated room just for movies, then I would probably go bigger, but I got sick of watching the news with my eyes buldging out of my head and my nervous system get twerked continually.

A piece of cardboard wont do anything for you. Its not the physical size which is the issue the majority of the time, its all those lights and colours and what it does to your senses/brain/body etc

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom