• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Viewing distance - Any advice please?

Chadford

Distinguished Member
Hi, I’m about to take the plunge and replace my excellent but failing 15 year old Finlux 3624 CRT TV. I’m wondering whether to go for a 26” or 32” LCD. My viewing distance is about 9’. I’m concerned that the bigger display would reveal many of the shortcomings of LCD technology at that short distance. Please can somebody comment and tell me if I have a valid concern? At that distance which size is better?
Thanks Andy.
My signal source from a Sky+ box.

V

Vallyboy

I have a 32" Sammy and 2 metres is fine. When I had it, it looked so large compared to an old 33" 4:3 set, but now....I wonder if perhaps I could have got away with a 37", go figure.:rolleyes:

In truth the 32" is spot on for my viewing distance 2/3 metres, if you chose a 26" I suspect you would have wished to go bigger and of course with HD the optimum viewing distance is not so great.

Lin3ar

Distinguished Member
Chadford said:
Hi, I’m about to take the plunge and replace my excellent but failing 15 year old Finlux 3624 CRT TV. I’m wondering whether to go for a 26” or 32” LCD. My viewing distance is about 9’. I’m concerned that the bigger display would reveal many of the shortcomings of LCD technology at that short distance. Please can somebody comment and tell me if I have a valid concern? At that distance which size is better?
Thanks Andy.
My signal source from a Sky+ box.

From 9 feet you would be looking for a 32" or even a 37".I sit about 8/9 feet away from my 32" panasonic lcd and sometimes I wish that I had gone for a 37".The picture from sky looks superb on MOST channels, just the ones with a lower bit rate can sometimes look a little dodgy but overall it is fine.

DO NOT go for a 26", from 9 feet it will look far too small.

stammie

Established Member
I got a 32" lcd a few days ago, I view it from about 9 1/2 feet,
this seems about the perfect distance to me, I wouldn't like a bigger screen this close and I think any smaller would seem too small.
The only short coming in the screen I can see is a short coming for any lcd of any size in that the black levels aren't great in a dark room, but for me that's a minor quibble compared to all the plus points the tv gives me over my old crt.

stlic

Established Member
I think the ideal viewing distance also depends on the type of media you plan to watch. For TV viewing I would be happy with a 32" at 9' although you are getting a little small at that distance. For DVD/Movies a larger screen would probably suit 9' better; perhaps a 37".

A friend of mine grabbed a 42" for viewing between 5-10' and overall the experience is positive with DVD/HD. Sky does look quite bitty at the closest distance but live-able considering Movies and Console are the main priorities.

The cut out cardboard and visualise may help in determining just how big everything would be at that distance.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom