Question Viewing Angles

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Harfynn Teuport, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Harfynn Teuport

Harfynn Teuport
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Newbie poster, long term reader here. As such, I hope I have posted this in the correct part of the forum.

I'm trying to find some guidance as to what constitutes a "wide viewing angle". I'm looking to upgrade our main TV, but am on something of a tight budget and might have to make some sacrifices to ensure the new model suits our viewing. It seems like the viewing angle is an important part in the selection of which panel type is most suitable, but I can't seem to find any firm guidelines despite my best Google-based efforts.

Are we talking anything off perpendicular? Or is there an angle up to which one doesn't need to worry about needing a panel that can provide a wide viewing angle?

Thanks in advance.

HT

2. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,293
  3. Harfynn Teuport

Harfynn Teuport
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, that does help somewhat by putting a figure on it - which I have previously been unable to find.

A further question, if I may be so bold? In that article it mentions a couple of figures in degrees; would I take that angle from the edge of the screen or from the centre of the screen to the viewing position? As, on a large TV, that can obviously make a significant difference.

4. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,293
  5. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,480
    You take the angle from the centre of the TV. Anything beyond 30 each way and VA paneled TVs may be unsuitable. Anything more than 45 and you will be most happy with an OLED.