Question Viewing angle advice

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by cndawes, Aug 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. cndawes

cndawes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm looking for a new 40 or 43" TV with a great viewing angle.

Whilst most of the time we watch from in front of it my wife likes to sit on this sofa and still see the TV! Thus she's at 45 degrees, about 200 cm and 90cm below the centre point.

Capture.JPG

We used to have a Samsung F7000 there that was fine, but I was looking for something a bit larger.
    We just tried a Philips 43PUS6753 that was fine from directly in front but totally useless in this position. In hindsight it was probably a bit much to expect at that price point.

Anyway - budget is not the issue, it's about getting the best set up for that position on the wall to make sure everyone is happy ;)

I'd started to look at maybe the Sony KD43XF8577 or 7073 models - any thoughts on these ?

Ideally it also needs to have all the UK Catch-Up TV Players too.

The wall is only 107cm wide so I don't think a 49" will fit (or it will look awkward).

Any advice appreciated - although I guess I should be going down to JL or Richer Sounds and actually testing the viewing angles rather than buying online.

Thanks in advance!

2. tvdavid

tvdavid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    you need to look at LG TVs most seem to be ISP TVs

3. cndawes

cndawes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks! To confirm I need to look for an 'IPS' panel - is there anything else that helps ?

C.

4. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +341
    The Sony XF85 uses an ips panel. Panasonic’s FX lcd range also use ips.

They’ll all perform about the same so get the one you prefer the design of.

5. cndawes

cndawes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you! It's off to the shops to see what 'looks' best :)

6. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,041
    This is a tough decision because you face both vertical and horizontal viewing angles. Made even tougher by not knowing for certain which panel type came on the Philips TV you tried. Most 43" models use IPS panels, especially Philips. But they have used VA in the past too. Almost certainly your Samsung F7000 would have been VA.

What was it that looked bad with the Philips compared your Samsung? Was it poor horizontal viewing angles looking bad like this (see left tv):
    [​IMG]
    Or IPS glow like this:
    [​IMG]
    ?

IPS panel TVs such as the Sony's may look poor and have a lot of light coming through as you look upward to the TV.

VA panels on the other hand should look better looking up, but worse to the side.

7. cndawes

cndawes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's the first image that you posted. Even when I am level with the TV any movement left or right towards 45deg and the picture starts to grey out and lose colour and contrast. This is exacerbated further when I am below the TV. The Philips is a Detailed specifications on 43PUS6753/12 which according to 42.5" Philips 43PUS6753/12 - Display is an IPS with a 178deg viewing angle! Although TechRadar says the 67xx range for 2018 are VA.

The 5 year old Samsung is definitely better - I moved it to another room and just checked and there's no real degradation at 45deg - there is some when you are about 75deg.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  8. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,041
    I don't think displayspecs are right then. IPS will look better to an horizontal angle than your old TV.

Nonetheless, its IPS that you probably need then, most VA tv's now have even worse viewing angles than your old Samsung does with a VA panel.

Pricing is pretty bad in general right now, some 2018 models are costing a lot than the 2017 predecessors if still available. Anything from Panasonic, Sony or LG at this size will be IPS.

EDIT* its not uncommon for displayspecifications.com to be wrong. All it is user submitted information.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  9. cndawes

cndawes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes - I found something else on Philips 6703 Series 4K HDR TV | TechRadar saying they are VA which definitely seems to be true!

I'd never imagined TVs would get worse!

Thank you for all the help - a trip to the TV Shop on Sunday and some lying on the floor to mimic the viewing angle is in order!

10. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,041
    They may be different panels at different sizes. Usually 43" is IPS but not always. Sometimes they even have multiple panels for the same TV.

It makes it so hard to make recommendations when they are so secretive about panels.

11. cs2008

cs2008

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have found the viewing angle on my Sony 49XF9005 is OK, but not great. The colour and contrast degrades noticeably vertically and horizontally, and far more than my 8 year old Sony FHD TV, which also had a VA panel. It seems that the 4K VA panels are much worse than FHD VA panels in that respect.

I looked at 49 inch LG and Panasonic TVs in Currys recently, which have IPS panels, and although viewing angles were better, the off-axis blooming negated the benefit. The only TVs which genuinely had good viewing angles were the OLEDs, but they are 55" minimum.

12. alancross

alancross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Personally I'd pop along to my nearest Curry's megastore, and look at the rows of TV screens from an oblique angle. Some are dreadful, many are middling, OLEDs always best (but these sadly are not available in a size that interests you).