1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Viewing a PT-AE100 at the weekend.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by HEADRAT, Mar 21, 2002.

1. HEADRAT

HEADRAT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi All,

Well after buying a Sony KP41DS1 on a whim and regretting it for about 3 months until I replaced it with a Tosh 40PW03B I decided to do a little more research than usual when buying my next toy :)

I'm off to view a PT-AE100 at the weekend, I've never owned or even watched a PJ before (for any length of time) what are the major things to look out for. I've been following posts here with interest and I've yet to see a really negative post about the PT-AE100..

After seeing it do you think I won't be able to get my hand in my pocket quick enough or will I be dissapointed ??

HEADRAT

2. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    you wont be dissapointed m8

I just got mine on thursday after about a months wait and I am amazed at the picture quality and I have not even got is set up properly as I am just using a small 4/3 screen & sitting the projector on a table only 6 feet from the screen & I dont notice the screen door and I dont have any dead pixels

When I get my 16/9 screen up and my projector ceiling mounted about 11 feet back it will be much better and there are plenty options to adjust the picture I am only using the factory defaults at the moment

However stock is very limited on this projector and unless you supplier has stock you will probably have to wait a month for a projector

3. Geoffc10

Geoffc10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You might want to consider the Sanyo PLV30. The dealer i bought my sanyo from said the panny pic was ok through a hcpc but not great from a dvd player. You will be suprised with the pic quality from a pj now!

4. HEADRAT

HEADRAT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The Sanyo is only 500 ANSI Lumens though, isn't that abit low ?

HEADRAT

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Not really. Both projectors you will have to control light in the room (this is the case for any good projector). Often there is too much emphasis place on light output (AVS) both these machines have enough.

6. Geoffc10

Geoffc10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Sanyo has a very good picture in bright conditions ( you dont need total blackout to see the picture). The HCC test proved the AE100 wasnt that bright compared to other LCD PJ. True 16:9 and high lumens isnt the only to look out for when buying a PJ. Also, there seems to be lots of problems arising from AE100 buyers in this forum. I'll stick with the Sanyo.

7. HEADRAT

HEADRAT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    All i can say is OMG !! I've got this PJ on loan for the weekend, got it displaying onto one of the walls in my living room (that is painted desert sand, like a matt yellow) and even with this obvious handicap the picture is truly fantastic

With a proper 16:9 screen and some tweaking its just going to be the business....

Tried all my favourite DVD's and they all look great, fantastic colours and contrast.. Everybody says the blacks look grey on LCD PJ's, not that I can see, the blacks look pretty black to me...

Not one dead pixel either, this unit only has 2 hours use, I may just have to keep it :)

HEADRAT

8. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    HEADRAT,

Hows it going with the PJ? An update please.:)

9. HEADRAT

HEADRAT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Well it went back ... :(

It was a great toy but I could not warrant the £1400 price tag !

If I had nothing else to buy and I had the cash lying about doing nothing then I would have had one.. I've got a 41 " TV as it was and without doing some fairly radical things to my front room to make it PJ friendly then it would have bee abit of a waste...

Don't get me wrong the AE-100 is a radically good piece of kit, I've not seen many other PJ's before this but this one is damn fine :)

Got a progressive scan output working from my PC and the picture was very very good, under the right lighting conditions.. If I had a spare room/basement I would have probably bought it, as it was I didn't really want to tun my living room into a multiplex ..

Anybody thinking about buying one, don't think about it, do it !! they are very very good..

HEADRAT

10. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0