Viewing 3d at eye level revelation

yandybox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like I have a new telly!

It may sound stupid but I always thought the best way of viewing 3D was sitting directly in front of the tv, eye level being dead centre. And up until now I was very impressed with 3D and all its offerings. That was until I decided to re-arrange some furniture. I got around to the idea of "mounting" (fnar fnar) my tv to the wall so went about finding the best spot on the wall so I don't lose my best viewing spot. I sat on the floor in front of my chair so I was looking slightly up at the screen to see how high up the wall I would take as acceptable. I began to test a few 3D moments and as my experiment began I found that sitting about 18" lower (eye level) the 3D seemed to pop out even more than before!

Yeah I know some people might be saying "I have mine up higher than eye level anyway" but for people who don't, try it, try sitting 18 or so inch down from your normal eye level and watching a bit 3D. This for me is a revelation, hence the ramble, and gives me a good excuse to watch ALL my 3D movies over again to see the differences

Oh and my tv is an LG50PX990 if that makes any difference :smashin:

funny you should say that, last night I watched 3D from various positions around the room. I found the best 3D effect was sat as far back as possible and at a slight angle. Not tried below eye level yet but will give it a go tonight.

Thanks for that info, I was worried that my new TV (when I've ordered it!) would be too far above my eye level because of the cabinet it will be on and because of the size of the screen (55"), now I'm not so worried :)

I always thought the best position was to have the centre of the screen at eye-level which is where I have mounted mine...a little like having the centre of the loudspeaker driver(s) at ear height?

The bottom edge of my 46" is only @ 610mm from the floor!

I am impressed with the picture in 2D, very impressed with the picture in HD & blown away with the picture in 3D!

The TV even looks good when it is switched off which is more than I can say for every other set I have had...

It's not perfect but then again what is?

Might have to experiment a little with positioning after reading this though...

-=Glyn=-

Last edited:
Thanks for that info, I was worried that my new TV (when I've ordered it!) would be too far above my eye level because of the cabinet it will be on and because of the size of the screen (55"), now I'm not so worried :)

I, like Glen8, have also tried multiple angles and really thought sitting bang in front of the tv was the best seat in the house. Till I tried the others. We have a chair off to the left and I watched the 15min Royal Wedding 3D on sky 3D yesterday and Im not saying the other seats wont have been good but from my view the depth of the crowds of people were amazing.

So really my answer is, dont worry, you should still get a good 3d view from a good range of angles.

funny you should say that, last night I watched 3D from various positions around the room. I found the best 3D effect was sat as far back as possible and at a slight angle. Not tried below eye level yet but will give it a go tonight.

Really? I was wondering what the best distance would be. I have a 40" LED and thought, the further you sit back, the less 3D affect you would get. Mine is wall mounted! I know if you sit in the back row at the cinema, the 3D is rubbish!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom