1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

viewig modes on Pana plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by mr_incredible, Apr 16, 2005.

1. mr_incredible

mr_incredible

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all! Ive just ordered my new tv (Panasonic TH37PE50) and am confused regarding the viewing modes it has? I can get to grips with Dynamic as it has a great contrast rate to it and its nice and vivid but the other two look, well, washed out so to speak? The 'normal' mode looks quite dull and 'cinema' is very dark and grey and washed out. Even when I turned the contrast to max it still was dull. Is there any reason for me to ever use these other two modes when Dynamic looks so good?
    Cheers!

2. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    most people don't like dynamic on the panny's...myself included as everything is abnornally bright.......it really depends what you are used to but cinema mode gives a much more realistic picture as opposed that 'hey look at me in the showroom' mode that is the dynamic setting. If you are used to a crt ramped up for brightness and contrast it takes a while to appreciate the more realistic setings.

3. mr_incredible

mr_incredible

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm I do agree. I have a Sony 26" LCD at the moment and I have to admit I did have to turn the contrast and brightness down compared to my older CRT. The point I was trying to make (and its hard to explain) was that when you flick over to cinema mode its like it places a sheet of grey colour over the picture, only slightly visible? It just seemed to be too dull? When watching Star Wars Episode 4, the storm troopers looked grey and not white. Does this make sense? Does anyone know or have any links to a sort of calibration/picture setting guide that goes through eash setting for contrast, colour, sharpness etc for the panasonic plasmas as I assume you would need different settings for each viewing mode?
    Thanks again!

4. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    doesn't sound right and i don't know that screen, but maybe it has some of the advanced features on.....which on my pw7 tend to make the piccy worse rather than better......

5. mr_incredible

mr_incredible

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mep,
    its the new range from panasonic (the PE number going from 30 up to 50). In your opinion should I stay clear of image 'enhancers' and the like? I know on the new Panas there is a feature called Colour Management which to me makes the colours too bold and 'plastic'. Things like noise reduction and MPEG reduction and all that - should I give these a miss? I really want to get a natural picture as poss.

6. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    i would, and that seems to be the concensus opinion here, unless you get it ISF cailbrated.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    Dynamic also burns your screen out 4 times faster than cinema mode dropping 60,000 hour life to 15,000

8. MrNPG

MrNPG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I've just got the same plasma but the 42" model and have also been experimenting with the various settings. At present I am using the "normal" mode, not cinema or dynamic. From the above responses, looks like dynamic should be avoided but do most people prefer cinema over "normal"? I have all of the "NR" settings turned off too.

Also, I know everyone's personal preferences differ but what levels do you folks have your contrast/colour etc set to? I have the following;

Contrast - 50%
    Brightness - 55/60%
    Colour - 50%
    Sharpness - NIL

What are your thoughts?

9. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    for sky via js rgb to vga i now have cinema mode, with cont and bright at 10 and sharpness at 5...for dvd on component i hav cont at 5, bright at 3, colour at 9 and sharpnes at 5

10. carlton

carlton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And are u guys impressed with your new viera's?

11. MrNPG

MrNPG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Yep, impressed with my Viera. As advised above, just experimenting with the settings in order to get the best picture. Bit of an endless task really though! I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to AV gear, so I could go on "tweeking" the settings forever! :) It's just nice to hear how other people have theirs set up, if only for "reassurance" that my settings are not miles out!

12. Bengbeng

Bengbeng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I've played with these settings too today (in the store :) ) and i totally agree, only 'Dynamic' looks well. With the other two the lightoutput is even not the half
    of the other brands standing next to the Panny. (even if you max out contrast)