Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Viewed the Tosh 46" today. Not overly impressed

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Paulherb, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Paulherb

Paulherb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi, I viewed the Tosh 46" DLP today and just have a few questions

Its was only being fed a composite signal from a DVD plyer which it shared with 4 plamas TVs. Is this why the picture was probably not what I was expecting?

I did not think the picture was that bright( I like bright) compared to the plamas TVs next to it. Was this becuase it had not been calibrated? i.e the constrast was on 100 and the brightness set to 50. The guy in the shop told me that was the factory preset.

I suggested to the sales guy that he should feed the DLP a decent signal but like most staff in these shops they were not interested.

Any help would be most welcome!

Cheers

Paulh.

2. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Yes, signal quality would be poor in this set-up. These retailers really have no idea, unfortunately.

Brightness is adjustable. No phosphor burn-out problems on a DLP. Were you looking at the screen at eye-level? Looking at it from too far above or below will lead to a much lower apparent brightness.

3. Neelix

Neelix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In my opinion and experience, DLPs are very dependant on feed quality, viewing angle and lighting conditions. I have now seen the Optoma, Tosh, LG, Sagem, Samsung DLPs and they all vary according to the above conditions. The best picture by far (and the one that led me up this DLP garden path ;) ) has been the Sagem with HD dvi feed. It simply looks stunning but it has to be tempered with the fact that this is as good as it gets all things considered. The Samsung follows very closely on the Sagem heels given that I have only ever seen it with DVD via component and RGB scart ( the latter being better) I would like to think that it would easily match the Sagem given the same HD feed. Incidentally, I have seen the same DVD 'Day After Tomorrow' on both the Samsung DLP and Pioneer 43" XDE HD plasma... the Samsung was definately superior in many ways which is good. That said I have also seen 'The Gladiator' DVD fed through HDMI to the 50" Pioneer plasma and that looked stunning so it would seem viewing pleasure can depend on so many things these days!!

With regard to the Tosh, I must admit to being disappointed when comparing it to plasmas with the same crappy RF feed. Whilst it wasn't significantly worse (because they were all crap) I did feel the plasmas had a slight edge although it's hard to describe exactly what. I am lucky that I don't suffer from the rainbow effect (not seen it at all) therefore I am torn between DLP and plasma. My heart says DLP due to cost and what I honestly believe to be the better technology but I'm still thinking that plasma may offer the superior package in terms of style, space and perhaps even overall PQ i.e. all types of feed.

The crunch time is fast approaching (3 weeks till move in ;) ) and my choices are Samsung 50", Tosh 52" or the NEC 50" plasma. I have also considered getting the NEC 42" plasma and maybe purchasing a DLP front projector for the same money as the 50". I will be conducting the ultimate test with my laptop next week which combines WMV HD samples via VGA and DVI along with Gladiator and LOTR dvds on the Tosh and Samsung. Hopefully this will be decisive :rolleyes:

4. Paulherb

Paulherb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the quick replys gents.

I think I'm gunna have to take a second view, see if the sales guy can connect a DVD player direct to the Tosh.

Hi def run through my front projecter look fantastic. If I could see some HD through the Tosh, it might convince the girlfriend into letting me buy it.

To be under the thumb hey :laugh:

Thanks again!

Paulh.

5. pantages

pantages

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Wait until you see the Toshiba with a HD feed!

6. maidstoneman30s

maidstoneman30s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Pantages,
    With the Tosh, you can have several memory settings, ie a not so bright for one setting and another setting with High brightness. THE CHOICE is yours.
    Personally, GO and see it with HiDEF material.

I have my 46"tosh for 3 weeks now, and its the best TV i ever bought for the money it is.
    If you like natural world programmes, then even better, cause i was watching the Snake hunter, on Sky feed and blooooddyyyyy helll, the images were IMENSE.

maidstoneman30s

7. n00b

n00b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    where can you view this with a hd feed?

8. bassett

bassett
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Paul,

I was in the US last week and spent a fair amount of time in a TV shop that had a variety of DLP's and plasmas, all being fed HD broadcasts. This was a 'proper' TV store, not a high street retail chain and so all the units on display were connected via quality leads. The Tosh 46" dlp was easily the best quality picture in the store. Of course you are correct in that a rear-pro screen is not as bright as a plasma but if you view it at the correct angle, the picture brightness will be good.

9. Paulherb

Paulherb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,
    Thanks for the advice gents, it's much appreciated.

I have been reading a lot of the other posts on the forum about the Tosh and I think the only stopping me pulling the trigger is the 1 to 1 mapping issue re PC.

I'm I right that you can not do 1 to 1 map of your PC 1280 x 720 res via DVI.

This would be a deal breaker for me as I wish to play Half Life 2 browse the web etc.

Cheers

Paulh.

10. Neelix

Neelix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can output most modern graphics cards to 1280x720 or simply use Powerstrip. The DVI should have no bearing on what resolutions can be outputted, at least it hasn't whenever I have tried it.

11. Vandal

Vandal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    MaidstoneMan,

Can you save different brightness settings etc on the Tosh?

I'm probably being a bit thick, but I only seem to be able to set the manual one. The other two or three seem fixed.

Thanks,
    V.

12. pantages

pantages

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Yes, three are fixed settings, each quite different, giving you a choice plus a fourth memory in which you can store your favourite setting.