View Pioneer without calibration.

Special agent

My 50 inch Pioneer 5090 I purchased a few years ago had already been isf calibrated for the original owner, I also have a standard Pioneer 428xd in another room and the picture on this always seem better so I was wondering if I can have a look at the 5090 without the calibration or does this mean I would have to delete the calibration?
No idea where to start so any advice would be appreciated.

youngsyp

Distinguished Member
With the age of the TV, it's likely it's drifted and so is not actually calibrated, in the defined sense of the word. Also, any calibration performed elsewhere is likely not one suitable for you, as the viewing environment was likely different.
That aside, you should be able to change the picture preset to a non-calibrated one, which would have no effect on the TV's calibrated preset settings. I think the picture preset toggle is called 'AV Selection'?!

Paul

Upvote 0

button_sw

Is the calibration on the 5090 using the ISF Day and Night Picture Presets?

If it is you can still reset any other mode like movie mode or Pure mode

I have two calibrated 500A'a and the picture is tremendous on them, I imagine if the set was professionally calibrated years ago it has drifted and is probably showing too much red in the white balance

Upvote 0

Special agent

With the age of the TV, it's likely it's drifted and so is not actually calibrated, in the defined sense of the word. Also, any calibration performed elsewhere is likely not one suitable for you, as the viewing environment was likely different.
That aside, you should be able to change the picture preset to a non-calibrated one, which would have no effect on the TV's calibrated preset settings. I think the picture preset toggle is called 'AV Selection'?!

Paul
Thanks Paul. I will give it a try and post my findings.

Upvote 0

Special agent

Is the calibration on the 5090 using the ISF Day and Night Picture Presets?

If it is you can still reset any other mode like movie mode or Pure mode

I have two calibrated 500A'a and the picture is tremendous on them, I imagine if the set was professionally calibrated years ago it has drifted and is probably showing too much red in the white balance
Thanks for taking the time to respond, I have always used it as it came from the previous owner, I am not familiar with presets, it shows isf night when first turned on.

Upvote 0

button_sw

Thanks for taking the time to respond, I have always used it as it came from the previous owner, I am not familiar with presets, it shows isf night when first turned on.
Okay, so the calibration was done on the ISF Presets

Switch picture preset to either MOVIE or PURE or anything you like and reset to default and then see what the picture is like. You won't lose the ISF presets as these are locked

I imagine the ISF night mode is quite dim and was probably calibrated for a dark room so that might be why it looks worse (as well as drifting with pixel aging)

Upvote 0

Special agent

Okay, so the calibration was done on the ISF Presets

Switch picture preset to either MOVIE or PURE or anything you like and reset to default and then see what the picture is like. You won't lose the ISF presets as these are locked

I imagine the ISF night mode is quite dim and was probably calibrated for a dark room so that might be why it looks worse (as well as drifting with pixel aging)
Thanks, give it try, I had a demo when purchasing years ago and it was a very dark room so your advice makes sense. Will try and advise.

Upvote 0

Special agent

Not having much success so far, nput 1 is as normal with isf night picture.
input 2 shows standard wide but no picture
input 3 is as input 1 but no picture
input 4 is standard with message -no input signal.
Feed is via Denon 2808 amp
Added to that nothing happens when I press home menu.

Upvote 0

button_sw

Not having much success so far, nput 1 is as normal with isf night picture.
input 2 shows standard wide but no picture
input 3 is as input 1 but no picture
input 4 is standard with message -no input signal.
Feed is via Denon 2808 amp
Added to that nothing happens when I press home menu.
Stick to Input 1 as that is the input that is clearly plugged into your Denon

Press Home Menu on the Remote,

Then Setup,

Then Picture

You can then select all the different picture modes, resetting to default if you need to

Upvote 0

CaptainJames

As above. Or you could input the "secret" ;) isf code to unlock the settings.

Upvote 0

Special agent

Stick to Input 1 as that is the input that is clearly plugged into your Denon

Press Home Menu on the Remote,

Then Setup,

Then Picture

You can then select all the different picture modes, resetting to default if you need to
As mentioned nothing happens when I press home menu, could it be something to do with the interface with the Denon?

Upvote 0

Special agent

Looks like I have the blue flashing light problem which I had never heard of before or noticed as I don’t use the Pioneer remote so probably best to leave things alone for now.
I have read this eventually leads to panel failure anyone experienced this?

Upvote 0

CaptainJames

Looks like I have the blue flashing light problem which I had never heard of before or noticed as I don’t use the Pioneer remote so probably best to leave things alone for now.
I have read this eventually leads to panel failure anyone experienced this?
At the end of the day the thing is an antique, best put it out of it's misery and get a nice new OLED.

Upvote 0

Special agent

At the end of the day the thing is an antique, best put it out of it's misery and get a nice new OLED.
Going to happen sooner or later I suppose, the problem is I know nothing about modern tv’s oled’s qled’s ? Research needed.

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom