View over the edge

bowenjones

Prominent Member
Reaction score
This shot is of me overlooking Barafundle Bay in West Wales and was taken with my Canon 350D and 17-85 IS lens on a tripod using the self timer. This photo has sentimental value to me as I lost my precious hat on the Corkscrew ride in Alton Towers yesterday :( :D
Shot in Raw with minimal adjustments to levels done in Rawshooter Essentials. Converted to Jpeg and resized with a touch of unsharp mask added in Paint Shop Pro X.

viewovertheedgeru2.jpg

Exif:
Camera Make: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS 350D DIGITAL
Image Date: 2007:04:07 12:01:32
Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 17.0mm
CCD Width: 5.14mm
Exposure Time: 0.0031 s (1/320)
Aperture: f/8.0
ISO equiv: 100
White Balance: Auto
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)

Crackin mate:smashin: Really clever use of composition.

Beautiful place and a beautiful picture...congrats:thumbsup:

I would have been worried the tripod would have toppled over in the wind or something...speaking of insurance!

Thanks Vulkan.
I don't have the sturdiest of tripods so the thought of it toppling did cross my mind. That's why I used the 17-85 rather than my Canon 10-22 :D

Great shot Bowen, although, it doesn't look as though you are in the raw to me. :hiya:

Nice location, great view over the cliff edge, that's a cert. The wide angle lens makes it look as if you had to sprint quite a few yards to get in the shot, and it doesn't look like a nice flat running track, either! :smashin:
The sun was probably so bright that the exposure really shut down and I personaly think the pic would benefit from a bit of pp lifting, as you look a bit lost in the rock details and the shadow from the far cliff is very dark on my monitor settings. (Maybe I have to blame that on Gordon@Convergent though, :D)
May the cap rest in peace... (or maybe pieces, at the bottom of the Corkscrew?). I hope you are house training a new one!

Cheers!

Very well composed photo and on theme.

ditto

What hat??? It was time to go:mad:

Very very nice shot though:smashin:
Thanks mate.
My wife started saying that the hat had to go about six months back :D
She was the only one laughing yesterday though :( :laugh:

Nice location, great view over the cliff edge, that's a cert. The wide angle lens makes it look as if you had to sprint quite a few yards to get in the shot, and it doesn't look like a nice flat running track, either! :smashin:
The sun was probably so bright that the exposure really shut down and I personaly think the pic would benefit from a bit of pp lifting, as you look a bit lost in the rock details and the shadow from the far cliff is very dark on my monitor settings. (Maybe I have to blame that on Gordon@Convergent though, :D)

Cheers!
You are probably right about the shadows being a little dark. My monitor is pretty poor to be honest and I've been meaning to upgrade it for a while but funds are a bit short at the moment. Anyway, I need some more lenses first ;)
I did lift the shadow detail a bit in pp but not much.

Thanks Simon.
As much as I hate heights, I was more worried about losing my camera than me falling over the edge! Come to think of it, that would have made a great shot :D

Hi there

Pity about the hat.

Nice composition, :thumbsup: . looks a lovly place.

Cheers Holo:smashin: :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

RESTORATION vs. REVISIONISM: At what point do 4K video and audio 'upgrades' cross the line?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom