1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Viera viewing modes

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by adrianl, Dec 17, 2004.

1. adrianl

adrianl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone please enlighten me as to the nature of the different Cinema/Normal/Dynamic modes, and suitability for different sources/viewing environments?

In past I'd assumed that (apart from Auto mode, which I understand uses sensor to adjust picture dynamically) were just names for different factory presets of the modes (eg Cinema for dak rooms = low brightness) but I'm not certain now. Picture looks different with similar contrats/brightness settings when you switch from say normal to dynamic. I realise the modes also change things like mpeg nr but is there more to it?

The manual's cryptic on this point, but refers to all four modes featuring "automatic enhancement".

Thanks for any advice or info,

Adrian

2. AVmaster

AVmaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You're absolutely right
    Cinema = dark environment
    Normal = shoot anyone who doesn't know that one
    Dynamic = used for shop displays where it's REALLY bright
    and Auto = used to be known as CATS where it adjusts the viewing mode according to the lighting situation.

I leave mine on Normal.

3. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    For the first 200 hours keep it in cinema mode!

4. brackenlamb

brackenlamb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i put mine in normal from day 1 but had the levels on low

5. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The gamma setting for each mode is different (and possibly other things as well) - hence the differences between the same brightness/contrast for each mode.

6. adrianl

adrianl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that - I thought looking at the different images that it could be different gamma settings.

7. THE BOARS

THE BOARS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    cinema mode for the first 200 hours why could u explain

8. AVmaster

AVmaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It's darker and therefore reduces the likelyhood of screenburn during the most crucial hours of use.

9. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +204
    I have noticed that even if all viewing modes have been adjusted using DVE ( Digital Video Essentials disc) that they still all give different results when viewing normal images(Not test paterens).
    Auto--- does exatctly what is ays on the tin, and inconjuction with the sensor on the fron of the Viera will adjust the brigtness and contrast depending on the rooms ambient light.
    Dynamic---- I belive is very close to the sony setting of LIVE that I used to have on my old television. It is designed to give ultra vivid images on broad casts of live sports and concerts.(its a good way of getting people to notice the plasma in the shop as well :D ) This mode however tend not to give this best overall colour even when adjusted.
    Cinema------seems very good once calibrated, however switching between this and normal mode reveals that the image is not as clear and sharp even if you move the sharpness option up.
    Normal------- is the mode i use as once adjusted seems to give the best overall image. :thumbsup:
    This is of course just my opinion and based on my eyes and viewing conditions.

10. Steffche

Steffche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't you find though that normal doesn't have as good a range as far as greyscale is concerned? The darker (lower IRE) boxes look distorted, whereas cinema is much more even and smooth. Agreed that cinema is a little blurred even with sharpness cranked up. Dynamic can look pretty good too if you turn contrast all the way down...well almost all the way!

What are you guys experiencing as far as color temp goes? Is warm TOO warm on your displays?

And here's a real BIG QUESTION..........

Can anyone post their factory setting for White Balance for 625i/p mode for normal and warm color temp???

PLEASE!!!

11. Funkybase

Funkybase
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've also noticed that the color balance and greyscale is good. But you need to lower the contrast to 4-5 % of the bar.

Something really wierd happened the other night. Was watching normal tv mode (analog) and the PQ was absolutely stunning. Felt like there was more light in the picture... but now it's back to normal again. Thought for a while that the plasma where turn in some sort of safety mode for the first 500 hours... i've checked cabels. The thing was that this effected all inputs except for the component one. I had better pics on both analog and digital tv fed through the rgb... this is strange... :confused:

12. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +204
    Yep. When gordon came to calibrate my Plasma, he told me that cinema was more acurate for colour. However like has already been said cinema is a bit blurred.Its not enough to say that the image is out of focus though :confused: . I still find normal mode to be the one I preffer though , although Normal mode cant quite seem to deal with darker images like cinema can :confused:
    You know we could actually be over analising all this, perhaps we need to take a step back and enjoy the stuff we are watching. :D

13. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What, you mean you actually watch something other than DVE? :devil:

Shame on you! :D

14. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +204

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: ;)

15. Steffche

Steffche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know where you're coming from.......my wife leaves the room as soon as she hears the jet roar past in the opening scene!!!!