1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Viera v P6 v P7

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by VistaVision, Nov 7, 2004.

1. VistaVision

VistaVision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    :lease: Virtually decided to go for the 42" Panasonic Viera when I was advised to buy either the P6 or P7 instead. The picture quality on these was apparently better than the Viera and they were far more reliable. I was told I would have to buy a tuner box with the P6 and P7 as my Sky + and Freeview box would give a better picture connected to this rather than connect them directly into the back of the plasma, this I find difficult to believe. In built speakers are not important as the sound will go via my Denon amp. Any advice would be gratefully received as I getting somewhat contradictory information.

2. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    You dont have to buy the tuner card if you have sky, utter rubbish!! What denon amp do you have? as you could route everything to that, and then one lead to a PW6 or PW7

FYI, the PW6 and the viera use the same screen, The viera is an out of the box TV replacement while the PW6/7 is just a display panel, which isnt a problem for you as you have sky/freeview.

3. MuffKing

MuffKing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to expand on that. Some people would argue that the tuner box gives a better signal than a direct connection as it converts the video to a signal type which allows the panel to do less work and give a better picture, butthis depends on what type of signal you are feeding to it in the first place. I doubt therefore that you would be able to tell of an improvement with using a direct RGB SCART connection from a SKY box, plus you could use another terminal board to take video from your amp to use for extra inputs (assuming the amp supports video switching).
    Also, the PW7 allows the use of a HDMI terminal board which could prove usefull in the future if you upgrade to the SKY HD box and channel package in a few years as you could swap the RGB terminal board for a HDMI one and use RGB for yet another input on the panel. I've got to say though, the VIERA PE30 Plasma TV is a bloody good choice of TV if you decided to go integrated instead.

Other than that, don't forget that the use of a tuner box prevents any other terminal sockets from being used as tuner terminal boards always get priority, but the PW7 does have a brighter picture than the PW6 due to a slight design change in the display.

4. Angelis

Angelis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does this mean then that the PW7 screen is better than a Viera?

5. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Well ... it's the latest version ... but "better"? Depends on your take on it I guess. PW7 has HDMI and the latest version panny glass ... but whether you could tell the difference comes down to your eyes. You also need to purchase extra boards for the PW7 (unless u use only the built in VGA socket) .... you pay your money, you take your choice! :)

ZedZed

6. MuffKing

MuffKing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Zed: You also get a SCART board with the PW6 & 7 and all but the HDMI boards are compatible with both models, although the PW7 is a little brighter on paper.

7. VistaVision

VistaVision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Many thanks, Leigh and Muffking. In reply to your query, Leigh, my amp is the Denon AVC -A1SE. At the moment I have a Sony 7700 DVD player, but am hoping to sell this on the AV Forums and go for either the Arcam 79 or Denon 3900.

8. tamthetim

tamthetim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Like a lot of people on here I'm looking at the PW6 and 7 at the moment.

I only want to hook up a sky digibox and a dvd player.........I assumed the best option would be to buy one with a component and scart inputs and hook the dvd through the component and the sky through RGB scart.........but on reading most of the threads most people only have one set of component from the amp to plasma.....why is this?...........just for less cables..........and can you do this for sky also.........getting a bit confused!!!!!!!!!!

9. MuffKing

MuffKing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depends on the amp.
    In general the amplifier is used for video switching aswell as providing the sound. This allows one connection to the Plasma, although there is nothing stopping you from feeding both Component video and SCART RGB to the panel by fitting 2 terminal boards.

10. tamthetim

tamthetim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    sorry my equipment hasn't come up with the post..........the amp is a Yamaha RX-V620RDS, 28 widescreen philips tv, mission m74 speaker package, tosh sd210e dvd player and amstrad sky digibox..........but i'll buy a new dvd player at the same time as the plasma.......can you tell me if I can switch the dvd and sky box through this amp and just have component to the plasma.............i take it this does not result in a poorer picture than taking it direct from the source?

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    VistaVision

At the risk of suffering the wrath of the 'Viera Owners Club' the Integrated PlasmaTV is not a good match for the DVD players your considering - both of them have Digital outputs (HDMI or DVI with HDCP) and the Denon includes a pretty expensive Faroudja DCDI Deinterlacer and scaler; which by all accounts works best when your outputting 720P so even if you stuck to an Analogue (YPbPr) Component Out is not compatible with a Viera Integrated PlasmaTV.

Forget about using the external Tuner with the PWD6 or PWD7 (in fact forget about using the dealer that recommended that idea in the first place) - the Tuner adds nothing to the party and tends to soften the picture you see on screen.

I'd be looking at a PWD6, PWD7 or even PHD7 with 1 x HDMI Input board for your NEW DVD player + 1 x RGB2YUV converter plus suitable Input board for your Digibox (avoid the SCART board its too soft).

Best regards

Joe

PS Tam - green and white Horizontal stripes are a good test of Progressive Scan processors :)

12. tamthetim

tamthetim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I think you are your saying i should buy the PW7 with HDMI and component connections (PW6 doesn't have HDMI ability i believe), hook the new DVD player through HDMI straight to the plasma and use a scart to component converter between the sky box and plasma......which means none of them go through the amp......................oh BTW I'll see some of them green and white stripes on Wednesday night!!!!!!!!

13. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Hello Tam

Sounds about right - that's assuming you go with a DVD player equipped with HDMI Out; if you stick with a YUV Out Player you could switch your DVD and a 'converted to YUV' Digibox signal via the AV Receiver.

Best regards

Joe

PS Watch out for Blue macro blocking on Wednesday!