1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Viera TH37PE30 Image Querey

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by damorgan, Nov 21, 2004.

1. damorgan

damorgan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have noticed on several occasions an intermittent green flecking/pielation in the black areas of an on-screen image. Very noticable when running my XBOX. Is this normal? If so can the screen settings be adjusted to minimise the visible impact of this? Any help would be appreciated.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    this tends to happen when brightness or contrast are too high ( i hope it is not running in Dynamic mode) turn them down to get a better overall PQ

3. damorgan

damorgan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advive and no I'm not running the Dynamic mode (it all looks too artificial). With the Normal mode setting activated, what contrast and brightness settings would you or anyone else out there advise for viewing off of the DVB tuner and DVDs. Cheers, Dave :thumbsup:

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    it is very room/environment dependant.... I reconmend to use either the THX omptimizer found on certain DVD Discs Star wars Episode 2 IIRC or get a copy of DVE PAL from powerbuys for £13 and use that to set-up the panel

5. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suspect that what you're seeing is "dithering".

Typically it appears as a mass of tiny green pixels "dancing" around in areas of the picture which are shadowy or dark. I did a search on this forum for this subject and it produced dozens of hits, most of which said that "dithering" is normal for a plasma.

I experimented with various settings on my PW6 to see if I could eliminate it, but I couldn't, and I have my contrast setting at -20 so I'm confident that it's not down to me overdriving the settings.

I don't find it to be a problem, as it's not visible on my panel until you're within three feet of the screen. Anything further than that and it's invisible.

6. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I can strongly suggest you consider a pro calibration. I had my viera done and the PQ went from good to beautiful.
    It'll cost £200+ but well worth it.

7. damorgan

damorgan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A pro calibration sounds tempting. Could you provide me with some detail re. how you went about this. Many thanks, Dave :hiya:

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    piers in Telford and Gordon in scotland but travels around thw world doing this and is the top in in the UK for calibration is worth dropping an email..... he also did have a special offer re Audio calibration for forum members a while ago have a search

9. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I used Gordon, AV Convergent. He advertises here.
    Made all the difference.

10. damorgan

damorgan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for all of your comments. I have contacted Gordon through his company website and look forward to being able to see my Viera in a different light.

On a related issue, my Viera came with a pack of magnets in two different sizes, which I am supposed to clamp around each end of the cables I'm connecting to the unit. Do these actually make any difference. I only ask becouse there is no way of clamping even the larger of the two sizes around my Cambridge Audio component, my Monster scart cable or my Ixos phono cables? :confused:

11. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Theyre magnetic shields. Basically for use if the viera is interfering with other kit. Don't think anyone here has needed them. Do a search if you want, there was a good thread at one time.