1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Viera sound breathrough

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by alan8477, Sep 24, 2004.

1. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have just installed a Viera 50 inch plasma. Great picture and excellent toy. However I do have a problem. I was watching 24 the other night with 'big' sound. My wife and I noticed a buzzing and sound breakthrough from what I suspect is the Sky connection.

I was feeding the Viera with a DVD signal from a Pioneer DVD545. My HiFi was providing the sound; Cyrus stero amplifier connected via the audio out phono sockets on the Viera.

I had buzzing on both the Viera and Mission speakers. I have reduced most of the buzzing through use of the Viera's supplied ferrite cores, one on each scart lead, and one on L & R phono leads. I think I can now tollerate the buzzing level.

The problem I am left with is the sound breakthrough from what I assume is the Sky connection. My connection configuration is:

Sky - AV1, Phillips DVDR looped through Sharp VCR -AV2, Pioneer DVD545 - AV4. (also a loop from Sky to DVDR.)

Any suggestions on curing the sound breakthrough?

PS I don't get any of this buzzing or sound breakthrough on my Toshiba projector/Marantz AV receiver upstairs.

2. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    What exactly do you mean by 'breakthrough' ?

Do you mean crosstalk ?

Are you connecting via fully wired scarts ? In which case Pins 1 & 3 are your problem.

Invest in fully isolated ribbon scarts or a pair of snippers. ;)

3. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I am sure it is crosstalk. Hadn't got a clue what the correct technical term was, but during quiet sections you can hear the sound from another programme channel. I'll try what you suggest, as I think all three of my scarts are fully wired and 'freebee' quality.

4. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Yes that's crosstalk.

I would suggest snipping the pins as long as you are happy cos the scarts are freebies anyway ?

Are you using AV2 as Qlink ? In which case you will have to leave pins 1&3 intact there and get a batter scart cable. If not snip them as well.

On the other 2 scarts defo snip those pins at the display end so that there is no feedback on the output audio.

Job done. Enjoy. :smashin:

5. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    I had some cross talk problems when watching anything on the vcr through av2. I simply changed the monitor out in the set up menu to av3 which is an input I am not using and it disapeared.

6. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Non-input channel will supress it, but it does not disappear, listen carefully ;) You should be able to change AV out to anything you like, freely and not experience this phenomenon AT ALL.

It lies in pins 1 & 3 of your scarts.That is the proper solution. Been there seen it done it. :smashin:

7. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Your right of course, but,

EKKO me old mate, unless the vol on the amp is at LUDICRUSS setting and the pillars of hell are shaking, The sky is actually falling and it wakes the mrs up :D I cant hear a thing :)

8. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    LOL.

But is it the same on the other AV 's when set to AV3 ? Also (important point !) if using Qlink you may not wish to leave AV out set to AV3 either ;)

You can also 'appear' to kill it by changing the channels to a non-tuned channel and then switching to desired AV.

What you suggest is a temporary fix as is the channel switch method. If that does the trick for you that's fine :)

Personally I like it to be 100% and make sure it's not happening at all. ;)