1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Viera / Sky+ / cinema connection help

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by markhancock, Jan 24, 2005.

1. markhancock

markhancock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having studied various posts on connection options, I have got my brain in a tangle! This post is aimed at getting the best possible pq from Sky+ to Viera, but there are complications....here's what I want to connect:-

Sky+, PS2, Denon 3910 DVD, Denon 3805 amp, connected to Viera 37" and Screenplay 4805 projector

Ideally I want the flexibilty to view all sources on both displays. With this in mind, I would like to use the switching facility on the 3805. The DVD and proj are connected directly by DVI. For the other sources, to get 2 lots of component out from the single output in the 3805, I am looking at a Keene video distribution amp (up to 4 sets component out from 1 input).

Then we turn to Sky+... do I go (1) s-video from Sky to amp and then out via component, or (2) get an RGB scart to component cable to the amp, or (3) go RGB scart all the way to the TV to 'preserve' the signal path and s-video to projector, or (4) do I go the whole way and go scart to JS component converter, then through 3805, then through distribution amp, finally to TV and projector? (I read that this is maybe the best route for PW6/7, but what about Viera?)
    I am looking for the best pq on the TV for everyday viewing - but also want a good signal for the projector which would be used for Sky movies. Up to now I have used option (1) for the projector with subjectively 'mixed' results (largely I think due to variation in broadcast quality on Sky) - TV and cabling not yet installed, so my options are open.

As a long-time audio nut, I thought the best route was always the simplest, most direct in order to minimise interference with the signal, but the idea of a converter to 'upscale' the signal to component seems to go against this. Also, with some of these options, we are looking at up to 4 interconnects between Sky+ and TV!

Would appreciate any comment from anyone who has tried any of the various options. :zonked:

2. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Mark,

The set-up that you have is very similar to what I have on demonstration here. Sky +, Denon 3805, Denon 3910, JS tech RGB to VGA (or Lumagen DVI to improve and complicate matters) and out to Panasonic PWHD7 via DVI / component / S-video or to ThemeScene H57. Most of the alternatives can be selected by one press on a programmable remote (though I am still working on getting all combinations working).

It is not simple :) but with a bit of perseverance can be cracked. Happy to show you how I have done it if you are anywhere near the Midlands.

3. markhancock

markhancock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Piers,

So if I understand correctly, an rgb/component converter such as the JS will a) outperform direct feed of rgb scart to tv regardless of the extra interconnects, and b) outperform s-video converted to component via the 3805?