Viera Service Manu (The Return!)

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Andy C, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Andy C

Andy C
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There have been a few posts in the past regarding how the service menu works on the Viera, however nothing definate was ever reported. So, now the set has been around for a while, are there any definate answers?

Firstly, the reason I want to access the menu is that a) I have a TiVo which creates it's own RGB shift unrelated to any TV shift, and b) I dislike too much overscan. I am comfortable altering the settings as I have done so on various Panasonic CRTs, but never on a plasma. Anyway, on to my questions...

1. How is the menu accessed on the Viera? Is it the usual Panasonic method of setting bass to max, treble to min, followed by pressing index and volume minus together? From there using the coloured fastext buttons to navigate and alter settings? I believe the Viera actually has two different menues?

2. I've heard various reports on how the memory works. Some say the picture settings are stored for each aspect ratio, e.g. 4:3, 14:9 and 16:9 all have their own memory. Some others say each input, AV1 and AV2 etc., has it's own memory. I also heard some say that each signal type has it'sown memory, RGB, Component, S-Video and so on... Surely by now someone must have a definate answer?

If anyone can give me any details it would be much appreciated. Of course if any retailers are not comfortable posting this info openly, then feel free to PM or email.

Many thanks in advance...

Andy.

2. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    The following thread reveals how to access the Viera's service menu. The usual caveat applies... don't blame me or anyone else here if settings are changed such that they trash your telly :devil:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150903&highlight=Viera+service+menu

David-Sheekey has pretty much conclusively found out that you cannot change the over-scan settings via the Viera's service menu. Maybe this is a glitch that has been fixed on later firmware? Maybe it's just a feature of the set :devil: If you do find a way to adjust over-scan then others here will be interested in how. :D

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148123

As for how settings are stored in memory... From my observations, the settings for brightness/contrast/colour/sharpness etc are stored individually for each of the four viewing modes - Dynamic, Normal, Cinema & Auto. They are not stored individually for the aspect ratios, AV inputs or method of input. However, some cunning owners tend to use different viewing modes for different inputs and sort of cobble individual settings that way, e.g. use normal for analogue tuner, cinema for DVD viewing and say auto for video etc.

S.

3. Andy C

Andy C
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok well I had a play in the service menu today and found the following:-

If you go to analogue channel 99 and enter the menu you do get the H-POS, H-AMP, V-POS, V-AMP options. These settings do work, however they only make changes to the screen in analogue mode and not DVB or AV.

You can call up the service menu whilst in AV, but you cannot reach the second menu where H-POS, H-AMP, V-POS, V-AMP are found. However if you press OK when you first enter the menu a sub-menu comes up with 'IIC Mode', 'CD Mode', 'SD Mode', 'MS Mode' and 'ID Mode' (the latter two are greyed out). In each of the modes are varies values. Needless to say I'm not going to touch any of the values as I have no idea what they do. :)

Anyway, if anyone knows what the values in the various modes do and whether or not you can use them to adjust screen position and/or overscan when in AV then please post.

Regards,

Andy.

4. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This implies (to me) that there should be another way to enter the Service 2 menu from AV/DVB mode.... :rolleyes:

5. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0