1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Viera Prog Component Aspect Switching

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by cj28, Sep 17, 2004.

1. cj28

cj28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My DMR-E55 DVD recorder is connected to the component inputs of my Panasonic 42PE30. However I've noticed that I can't switch the screen aspect when in the component input. Is there any way to do it? It works via RGB, composite and S-video etc. I can't see anything in the manual that says that you can't change the aspect in prog scan component, although it does say that you can't do it when using the PC input. (The reason I need to change aspect to Zoom1 is because I have 2.35:1 film recorded in 4:3 letterboxed format (ie non-anamorphic) on a DVD-RAM and I need to zoom to get it back on the right aspect ratio when viewing on the 16:9 screen.)

CJ

2. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    when viewing material from a dvd player in progresive scan mode, the plasma stays in wide mode and you can not switch aspect ratios. make sure the dvd player is set to anamophic wide mode and you should not have many problems. Also you should be able to choose weather the dvd player outputs interlassed or progresive images via the componnet outputs. :)
    David

3. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    So, are you saying that a progressive scan dvd played will convert a letterbox widescreen image to an anamorphic one? I have some widescreen dvd's that are letterbox only. On my crt I have to set the aspect ratio to one of it's zoom modes. If I set it to wide I get fat people. My dvd player is set to wide because all my other dvd's get sent as anamorphic widescreen. What about 4:3 material in progressive scan? Will the dvd player convert the 4:3 image to an anamorphic wide one by adding false side bars?

I don't have a plasma yet, but I intend to use progressive scan output from my dvd player and not all my dvd's are anamorphic.

4. cj28

cj28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can not zoom non-anamomorphic (ie. letterbox) widescreen DVDs if your DVD player is connected component input - that's the problem I'm having. I have to zoom when viewing on my CRT, but can't do it on the plasma unless I switch to RGB, composite or s-video inputs which is a bit of a nuisance for any widescreen films recorded from the analogue tuner on my other DVD recorder or for pre-recorded non-anamorphic DVDs.

CJ

5. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199

If the dvd is an anamorphic one then use progressive scan from the dvd player.You must howvever make sure that the player is set for anamorphic wide mode.. If it is not then standard interlassed via componnet is the better option. If a disc is just standard letter box and has no anamorphic encoding then via progressive scan from the dvd player the letter boxed image will be streched in wide mode and the black bars at the top and bottom will be a lot thicker than normal..
    An ntsc 4;3 image will also be streched across in wide mode via progressive scan. Cant speak for pal as my player will only output progressive scan for ntsc. Rember that a plasma is a progressive device anyway and has a deinterlasser built in. when I use progresive scan from my player I really dont see any difference in picture quality than when using standard interlassed.
    Dave.

6. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks for that davidsheekey. I am learning so much about all this stuff and eventually I'll reach a critical amount of knowledge and I'll actually be confident enough to buy a plasma.

I have a Harman Kardon DVD25 which has had the firmware update to give it PAL progressive scan. It's a pity that progressive scan only outputs anamorphic. Quite often extras on dvd's are in 4:3, so I'd have to switch off progressive scan to watch them after watching the movie. However, like you, I may not notice much difference between the deinterlacing processing of the plasma and the dvd player and just use interlaced output from the dvd.

7. red severn

red severn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    you can not set a dvd player to anarmorpic this depends on the disc progressive scan on/off yes?
    regards red

8. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199

Yes thats right, but an anamorphic dvd can be viewed in standard letterbox format if watching on a 4:3 display device. My dvd player gives you the option to view in 16:9 wide mode or 4.3 letter box mode. I would imagine that there would be alot of people across the country who watch dvds on non wide screen televisions that would be very upset if they could not turn the anamorphic option off on the dvd player. The black bars at the top and bottom of the screen would disapear but people would look very, very thin :D
    Dave.