1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

viera/plasma q's

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by cutecarlito, Jan 31, 2005.

1. cutecarlito

cutecarlito

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please help
    Cannot decide betweeen viera 37" and a philips 32" lcd.
    On plasma worried about low resolution-does this mean pic will not be as detailed and sharp as hi res lcd?
    does set need lots of fiddling to get right?
    do i need to worry about screen burn and lip sync problems?
    will screen die a slow death after a few yrs
    Is 37" too big from 9 ft viewing distance?

2. The Gooner

The Gooner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    You would need to view them both to see for your self, I found plasmas to be clearer than LCD

My 37" Viera is superb on DVD through component, Some sky channels are excellent but some are crap

Dosnt need to much fiddling

I have no probs with lip sync and Pannys are supposed the best for screen burn (or no screen burn)

Plasma have similar life span to CRT

I view my 37" Viera around 9-10ft and its excellent.

3. cutecarlito

cutecarlito

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was told that plasma electricity costs are about £200/300 per year ie treble that of a 32" lcd? is this true and is no one worried about not being able to get hidef next yr due to plasma low res.
    please let me know

4. Scotty Boy

Scotty Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    You're joking right?

I must be costing my parents a bomb if that's true, that's got to be aload of rubbish, surely?

5. jonl1973

jonl1973
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    My 42" PWD6 is rated at 265 Watts - so about the same as 2 and a half 100W light bulbs and about twice my old Philips 28" CRT

I think that's a max rating though - so it would consume less in normal use.

6. buzzby

buzzby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    to add to my PM if you have the viera on dynamic mode it will still last 15000 hours which if you watch the TV for 8 hours a day will make the TV last 5 years.

basically you'll be buying a 200" plasma before it dies.

Also that electricity thing is rubbish. The max ratting is the power used to turn the TV on then it drops. Dont worry about electric cost it wont be any different to what you pay now

7. Roswell

Roswell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Philips LCD 42" 154 watts / Pana Plasma 42" 265 watts

That'd be about 200 KWhrs extra for very heavy use. How much does a KWh cost - about 10p maybe? So the plasma is costing £20 a year more to run. Take a while to justify the extra thousand quid.

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  9. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Can’t comment on the Philips LCD as I haven’t seen it. But can thoroughly recommend the Viera, especially dvd pictures via component.

The set does not require that much fiddling, just take it out of Dynamic mode, and adjust the brightness and contrast settings for the first couple of hundred hours.

I’ve left my screen on satellite channels with logos all day and not suffered any screen burn problems. Regarding lip-sync, you may have problems if you are using a 5.1 sound system, but if your amp has audio delay you should be able to rectify the problem.

I view my 37” from around 10 feet and to be honest wish I had something a bit bigger now :(

10. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this is gonna upset and/or cause amusement to many on here, BUT i think it has to be said to provide balance:

In my opinion, for the money, you need one heck of a reason to choose a 37" Viera over either:

The Sony KLV-32M1 LCD

or a Philips 42PF9946 Plasma

Their pictures are to my eyes in a league above the 37" Viera, and the Sony LCD displays nearly a very true black. I don't know anybody except av forum users who prefer Panasonics to other screens nowadays. Pit a 42" Viera against the 42PF9946, I would be gobsmacked if more than 10 out of 100 people off the street preferred the Panasonic. You can snigger and talk technical aspects of Alis Screens all you like, the proof is in the picture I'm afraid. Plus, how about the Philips 42PF9956 - £2000, Panasonic panel, Pixel Plus, Sexy finish and all the inputs you need including DVI with HDCP. Anyone still recommending a Panasonic screen only over this is clearly biased or insane.

From 9 ft away, I'd be happy with a 32" I have to say. Plus, with the Sony, and even the Philips, you can get as close as you want while still seeing a nice sharp picture. Something the Viera cannot do.

Go see for yourself! So long as you choose whats best to your eyes, then it doesn't really matter what us forum users think!

:suicide: Preparing for the backlash...

11. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Well I have the Viera 42" and it has an excellent picture when viewing Sky+, DVD and Freeview.

Plasmas are recommended for big screen viewing and LCDs for small viewing.

I didn't need to fiddle with it that much, just took it out of dynamic mode straightaway and knocked all the settings down to half.

I have not experienced any screen burn issues but only had it for about 1 month. I am careful with it and don't allow static images to be on it for long.

There are no lip sync problems with it, I have it connected to Sky+ and the Denon 500.

They are supposed to last as long as a crt so I wouldn't worry about it dying in a few years.

37" is not too big from 9 ft. We can view from about 4 ft away but the best picture is from 10 ft away. We usually view it about 18 ft.

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I really dont see the need for type of comment
    AND yes iam biased, Biased by picture quality

13. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    Well id go for the viera, bigger screen better quality/contrast/refresh

The main thing that swings viera to me over all other plasmas is the integrated tuner, I just rather have the ability to change tv channel on my tv remote than having to pick up another remote to change channel, a lazy thing? maybe, but its more of a comfort thing for me. 1 remote for dvd, 1 for tv. and I want the manufacturers remote not a crummy all in one.

as for sky meh, im not buying a phoneline just so i can subscribe to sky when i can get SOME digital channels via a integrated tuner

14. The Gooner

The Gooner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44

15. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990

I haven’t seen the above displays, however when I bought my Viera I can safely say that it was the best for me at the time.

Each to their own…

16. denian

denian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Patrick (Viera) wins for me. Stunning picture via component and very user friendly. :thumbsup:

17. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    absolutely no offence intended by the biased/insane comment! sorry if it caused this.

the panasonics are certainly no lemons, i was just speaking for the other side of the camp to provide some balance. there are so many limitations that plasmas have to deal with, each screen is a compromise and which one you prefer in the end may come down to priorities. for whatever priorities please my eyes, i prefer the philips 9946s at both 37 and 42" level, and i would still stand by my 'league above' statement. But remember: its just a telly at the end of the day! And nobodys right, nobodys wrong.

I dont think preferring the Philips is an eccentric or minority view. I've moved to a new house and am still choosing TVs for the various rooms (hence where my views come from, just an ordinary guy whos looking for the best for my needs). To give a true example, I was in Empire, Bradford today - which has an excellent setup. We were sitting on the sofa, all the screens laid out before us, and the salesman (an old friend!) suggested the Panasonic 42" with a grin, saying they sell like hotcakes because of their reputation. "They're what I tell everyone to buy, that or the Pioneer, but others are obviously quite a bit better" he said - pointing to a Sony sitting right next to it, and the Philips a few sets down. My eyes agreed with his (again). I'm not pretending these are better than the Panasonic in every single way and therefore a no-brainer, just trying to dispel the opposite myth, that the Panasonic is a no-brainer.

i think the moral of the tale is: listen to user comments and reviews, but don't rely on them. its good advice youve been given from the gooner: go and see the screens! The Philips and the Vieras are literally everywhere!

Just for interest, saw the Pixel Plus 2 Philips screen as well today. There is rather a lot of noise and pixellation close up (which does not afflict the 9946), but go 2m away and the 3-dimensionality is quite wonderous and unlike anything else I've seen. Its as though every movement is super-fluid and fast - its hard to describe and i dont think im doing it very well. Think the total opposite of Pioneers - which (again to my eyes) look great close up, but then like theyre in slow-motion and completely unrealistic (and not to mention pixellated) with movement. The noise and loss of fine detail mean the Philips Pixel Plus 2 set it no glory box, though. Hmmmm, a bit off-topic and probably of no interest to the Panny-philes, sorry! rant over.

18. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    have you ever seen a PHD panasonic? the panel business and the TV businesss are quite different, but i agree everyone should demo....unfortunately good demos are hard to find

19. The Gooner

The Gooner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    superpixel sorry if my reply read a bit strong it wasnt intended just thought it was a good example to show why veiwing is essential before you part with your hard earned cash as everyone sees and hears things differently.

20. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no worries gooner, i didnt even realise you were knocking me! :hiya:

hornydragon, yes I've seen the Panasonic PW/PHs all over the shop (quite literally!) if you were insinuating that the Viera's arent up to scratch in comparison, I'm in full agreement with you. The PWs are a league above the Vieras (which puts them right back into the fray with Philips, Sony, Fujitsu TVs and NEC panels).

BUT the thread was about the Viera in particular, and that was what I was comparing to. Although, I still stand by my opinion that its difficult to argue against a Philips 42PF9956 in favour of just a PW7. Though I'm sure you're gonna try! :)

I'd have thought a demo of a Philips 42PF9946 versus a Viera would be possibly the easiest comparison you could do. Dixons, Currys et al carry these, and from what I've seen these two plus the Pioneer are in almost every store. Conditions might not be perfect, but you can get a very good idea and decide which you prefer. Maybe I'm just blessed in my neck of the woods. For buying something at 2 grand though, £50 to travel and demo isn't much...

PS i confess to being confused by Panasonics model numbers, sorry.