1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Viera PE50 picture settings

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Faust, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I have been wondering if anyone actually uses the PN-R and MPEG NR facility on their Viera PE50 series, if so what settings they use and what improvements if any this creates. I have all mine set to off as the PQ seems first class without having to use these options. One thing I would say though, which concerns the cinema settings. I assume that Panasonic is trying to recreate a cinema type experience with this setting i.e. muted colours and reduced brightness. Speaking for myself I find this setting not to my liking as the picture seems flat and somehow washed out. I know I could up the settings but feel that this would probably defeat the object as it would then be almost back to the "normal" setting. Anyone disagree with my conclusions regarding this?

2. gnikolaidis

gnikolaidis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In time I have found that when playing DVD's the best choice for my taste is "Cinema Mode" with "Color Management" set to off. Also set the sharpness option on your DVD player to maximum. I disagree that "uping" the settings of "Cinema Mode" would produce the same effects as "Normal Mode", since different settings do not just change contrast and brightness levels, but also appear to set different values for hue and gamma.

The MPEG NR feature does not seem to do much whatever setting I choose, although in the manual it states that its scope is to enhance picture quality in overly compressed DVD's.

3. RHCP

RHCP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I've got mine set to cinema mode, looks fantastic, but i should really start messing around with the settings to try and get the best picture possible.

I'm going to a dve dvd soon, when i can get off Halo 2 that is! (i think i'm addicted to halo 2). Oh i use dynamic settings for Xbox! :)

4. ukroadster

ukroadster
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Faust

Agree with you on the cinema setting - it looks grey and washed out , smoothed over and lacking detail and contrast. My dad has the same screen and also agrees. I can never undersatnd why a lot of people prefer this mode - perhaps its because it smooths out a lot of the nasties such as noise but I just see it as overly smooth and lacking detail.

Everyone has different tastes I suppose but I like a lively, rich, detailed picture and personally cannot stand a smoothed over , muted picture. Makes me think my eyes are going when I watch a non detailed picture.

Conversely I dont like the over saturated, unlifelike picture on Dynamic mode.

I find normal the best compomise IMHO.

As for the P-nr, it is very, very subtle but does malke the picture a little smoother on SKY but at the expense of detail again so I have it off. The same for MPEG -NR - so again switched off.

Everyone has there own preferences as we all do when it comes to hi-fi but I dont understand why you would want to loose so much detail when in cinema mode.

5. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    We are on the same hymn sheet ukroadster, thank goodness I'm not on my own. I too have my settings on "normal" with P-NR and MPEG-NR switched off, though I have just put colour management set to on, not sure what this does though as I cannot see on tat worth of difference.

6. ukroadster

ukroadster
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Faust

Check out some grass with the colour management on and off. With it on it becomes a false looking dark green and with it off it looks more natural.

7. bobboulby

bobboulby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my 37PE50 for a month now and have about 100 hours on the screen. At first I set it to the standard Cinema settings to 'run it in'. My initial impressions were exactly the same as Faust's and ukroadster's - flat and washed out and I commented on this forum how I didn't understand the low contrast recommendations that seemed to predominate.

Since day one, one of two things has happened: either I've got used to the low contrast setting or the screen has improved as the hours have been racked up. Of the two I suspect the latter. Recently I have tweaked the contrast up just two clicks from the standard Cinema setting and most of the time I'd say it looks pretty much spot on. I might put the contrast up a shade more when I go past the 200 hour mark.

I've attached a shot of my current settings.

Bob

Attached Files:

8. bobboulby

bobboulby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RHCP, I'm thinking of DVEing mine as well. Please could you post up your experiences when you've carried it out.

Bob

9. RHCP

RHCP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    No probs, if i ever get off Halo 2 that is! :)

The thing is i'll go all out to get something, like a plasma, then i get a bit lazy! :boring:

The screen looks great so i won't bother, then one day i'll get round to it!

You'll probably have yours dve'd before me! :)

10. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Took you at your word ukroadster, I looked at my lawn this afternoon with color management both on and off, however, I could not detect any difference, my lawn looked just the same. :D

11. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    You really do not need to "run in" a Viera panel, the new G8 panel does not require any such thing - Panasonic confirmed this in writing to me, and my Panny dealer laughed out loud when I asked him about doing so. Re Cinema settings. I suspect that it is the former i.e. that you have got used to the Cinema settings. It is a scientific fact that our eyes quickly adapt to a colour range as well as size, which is probably why we think our new large panel seems either to large or just right on initial set up then two weeks down the road we convince ourselves that we could have actually had an even larger panel.

12. libby71

libby71
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,I have got the 37pe50 and have put my picture settings on and on the settings menu there isnt a pn-r setting on my screen,i was wondering where i could find this?.

13. bobboulby

bobboulby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Faust, are you just running the standard Normal settings or have you tweaked them?

Bob

14. bobboulby

bobboulby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe PR-N isn't available on all inputs - my screen shot was from a normal Freeview transmission.

I can't check it on the DVD input at the moment as my partner's watching TV!

Bob

15. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I tried out Dynamic when I first purchased the t.v. then found "Normal" to be more restful and natural - I also found the defaults to my liking so have not tweaked them (if it ain't broke don't fix it) mentality. However, I did tweak the cinema settings but I could not find an optimum that suited me, especially when playing DVDs.

16. billym

billym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Libby, this doesn't appear if you connect through component.

17. libby71

libby71
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right ,that will be why then,Thankyou

18. bobboulby

bobboulby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Come on PE50 owners, (there must be loads of you out there), lets get some discussion going on this. I'd be interested to hear how others have their plamas set-up.

Bob

19. chrisw

chrisw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Cinema mode - I've upped the contrast and brightness now, but haven't put it on Normal mode for ages... Think I'll have a play around with it tonight tho.

I like Cinema mode as the picture seems to be the clearest and sharpest - I know the colour is ever so slightly dull, but am used to it.

The other thing I'd say, is that these panels do improve with time. From 0 - 50 hours there was a massive improvement, and now I'm up to about 500 hours or so, the picture is just amazing. I've done the calibration with a THX optimizer after 200 hours and this again has just made it all that little bit better.

20. jinkyjim

jinkyjim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    My 37PE50 has a super picture, i've had it about 5 weeks, i've had in cinema mode since day one and after the first 200 hours of low settings i bought the DVE disc, the improvement was remarkable after the DVE disc did its job.
    i've got sky on av 1, PS2 on av 2 and a DVD recorder on av 3,
    the only poor picture is the PS2 but thats on composite, sky and the DVD recorder are on RGB scart with a great picture.

21. bobboulby

bobboulby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jinkyjim, would you mind making your DVE settings available to the rest of us?

Bob

22. Ade848

Ade848

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Truly happy with my PE50 (apart from scratch on screen but thats another issue).

Had the screen for three weeks now, and constantly tweaking the settings so i've borrowed the DVE disc from Blockbuster and shall have a good play tonight. Really looking forward to it. :thumbsup:

I'll let you know how I get on....

23. billym

billym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where did you buy the DVE disk from?

24. jinkyjim

jinkyjim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    My settings on the 37PE50,
    sorry about the poor picture, i need a new camera.
    billym, i got the DVE disk from cd wow.
    EDIT
    SORRY no pic, dunno what went wrong.

25. bobboulby

bobboulby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bump - any more settings?

26. ashleybrown

ashleybrown
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've had my PE50 for about 3 weeks and have had it set to normal since day 1. Cinema looks horrible and dynamic looks too false (except for xbox playing). I've tweaked the settings slightly and upped the sharpness to 3/4. I like very sharp pictures.

I love my tv and would rate in better than my old 32" PE30 Crt tv.

I purchased my from my local panasonic shop for £1299 (TH37PE50) with 3 years warranty and the stand. I paid another £40 for delivery and installation.

Very happy chappy

Ash.

27. norriejam

norriejam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bob

As you asked me to do so on another topic I've posted a picture with my settings.

The only real problem I had with DVE was setting the contrast but I played around with it until my eyes were happy with it.

Anyway, here it is.....................................

Attached Files:

28. RHCP

RHCP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Managed to get off halo 2 and had a mess round with my settings.

Definately better in normal mode, looks a lot sharper than cinema, which does look a bit washed out compared to normal.

I also put color management on, it did seem to sharpen things up a bit!

I'll probably get the dve disk at christmas, when i get 2 weeks off :clap:

29. RHCP

RHCP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    What no Shapness?? I wonder why?

I prefer my brightness a bit higher, try it you can see detail in the blackness of someones jacket. :)

30. norriejam

norriejam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't see the sharpness making any big difference except exagerrate any imperfection in the picture, what's your take on it?

If I put the brightness any higher I can see white speckling in the dark areas.