Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Viera pe50 component input quality help

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by emporer, Jun 5, 2005.

1. emporer

emporer
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    I have the panny 37pe50 plasma and am thinking that i'm having trouble with my component input. I have rigged up a panny ehs10 dvd recorder via components ( also tried sumvision n820 ) and while the picture is great I can't help thinking it looks better interlaced rather than p.scan. I'm right in thinking it should be better but to my eyes there is hardly anything in them at all, I must admit I was expecting a bit much as the xbox was blinding through it. The xbox playing movies via xbmc using p.scan was the same aswell, yet the games all looked superb in 480p.

Am I just expecting to much? or do I just need to invest in a better dvd player? The component cables are monster jobs and they perform well, just it seems the same interlaced or p.scan.

My Pioneer dv313 on RGB scart gives the same image quality and in some cases looks better than p.scan on all the others.

Ive tried it on 480p and 576p and makes no difference.

Any help or am I just being very fussy?

Cheers

2. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279

The Viera plasma is a progresive display. If you use a dvd player in progresive mode then you are sending the plasma the signal and it does not need to do it. Some dvd players will handle a progresive signal better than some plasmas, and some the other way around. If you think the picture looks better when the Progresive mode is switched of fon the dvd player then that is probably because the Plasma is doing a better job and deinterlasing the picture :)

3. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I get the same with my DMR-E500 and TH-37PE30, the interlaced component picture quality is significantly better than progressive scan component picture quality. As Dave has said above it just means that your PE50 is better at creating a progressive signal from an interlaced feed than your ES10 is at outputting a progressive feed. The relevant circuits are better in the TV than they are in the DVD Recorder. Probably a different story with a top notch Pioneer or Panny DVD player though.

S.

4. rpb

rpb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I can follow the reasoning behind the interlaced -v progressive scan issue here.

However, both are going through component cables.

Is there any debtate over whether component cable is better than Scart?