Viera non-RGB SCART Input

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by feanor, Nov 8, 2004.

1. feanor

feanor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am the recent happy owner of a Viera pe30b. I understand that of my 3 SCART inputs, 2 are RGB-compatible and one is not (composite-only, I presume). My understanding of the 2 SCART modes (composite v RGB) comes largely from here: http://www.hut.fi/Misc/Electronics/faq/vga2rgb/scart.html, which leads me to believe that a signal is output (e.g. from a DVD player) in either composite-only mode or composite+RGB mode. An RGB-enabled input will take the RGB signal if available, else take the composite one. A non-RGB-enabled input will always take the composite one.

I therefore expected that the Viera's non-RGB scart input would show anything I fired at it. But connecting either my laptop or my gamecube (via composite cable + SCART adapter) to this SCART socket results in a black & white picture (audio is fine). I've tried 2 different SCART adapters.

My Philips DVD player allows me to select SCART output mode. When I plug the DVD player into the offending SCART socket, I get a black & white picture when I output in RGB mode, and a perfect picture when I output in (so-called) s-video mode.

To make matters harder to fathom, occasionally my PC & gamecube have displayed a perfect colour picture on the offending SCART input...but after switching the TV off, it always goes back to B&W...

Can some helpful person please explain what's happening? The behaviour of the DVD player suggests that (when I've got it in RGB mode) it's broadcasting an RGB-only signal, so displays in B&W on the non-RGB SCART input. But when I connect my laptop/gamecube, I'm using composite cables and SCART adapters containing very few pins, so I can't believe these signals are being input as RGB. And why do they work sometimes...?

I can find no Viera menu which lets me set the input mode of the SCART sockets.

Thanks in advance,
    a very puzzled Feanor.

2. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    AV2 toggles between two settings, one is composite and the other is S-video. When you view AV2 by pressing the green button on the remote what does the display show in the top left corner? is it AV2 or AV2S?

AV2- means that the AV2 input is set to composite
    AV2S - means that the AV2 input is set to S-video

If you're set to AV2S then the picture will display as B&W if you're feeding a composite signal and vice-versa. To toggle between AV2 & AV2S just keep pressing the green button on the remote that will toggle between the two modes.

AV1 & AV4 will auto detect an RGB signal from composite but AV2 has to be toggled manually between S-video and composite.

Hope that cures your B&W problem :)

S.

3. feanor

feanor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It certainly does Steve, you're an absolute diamond, thanks very much. Not only that, but it solves a related problem: how come, when I use composite cables to connect my laptop to AV3, I get told that there's no signal? Coz it's in PC mode, of course, and I need to manually toggle by pushing the yellow button repeatedly.

I apologise if this is all very clear in the manual. I didn't pick up on it at all...

4. Yorkieblade

Yorkieblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi Feanor sorry to bother you Is your pc/laptop good picture quality on ur viera?
    Did you buy any extra boards ?
    not sure whether to get a panny pw6/7 or a viera but wanna connect this lot:-
    PC
    Sky
    DVD
    Amp 5:1
    PS2
    any thoughts?
    Yorkie

5. feanor

feanor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I only use the laptop for watching divx/xvid/etc movies on the viera. The picture quality for this is fine (or, at least, is as good as the compression allows). I don't use the plasma as an alternative monitor, but I think the text is a bit fuzzy. I've made no effort to improve this. I have not bought any extra boards.

If you wanna use your plasma as an alternative monitor, I think there're some other threads on this forum about sorting out the fuzziness etc by changing some settings.

Feanor.

6. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Heh no worries :D Glad to hear you got it sorted mate :thumbsup:

You can't buy video input boards for the Viera series of TV's they have a fixed number of AV inputs... 3x SCART 1xComponent on the back 1x S-video, 1x composite & 1 VGA (15pin D-sub) on the front. The only slot on the back of the TV is a PCMCIA slot for a adding CAM card (correct term?) to add subsuscription channels to the digital freeview service, e.g. Top-up TV.

S.