Viera - is pal progressive better than RGB?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by cj28, Sep 6, 2004.

1. cj28

cj28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got my Viera 42PE30 last weekend and am very very impressed with it :thumbsup: - the picture is even better than my 4 year old 32PK2 Panny flatscreen which I thought was the best picture I'd seen on a CRT.

I now need a new DVD player as my Panny HS2 recorder is staying in another room with the CRT. I want to buy a Panasonic DVD player (as I already have too many different remotes and want to use the Viera remote with the DVD). I also need DVD-RAM playback. My question is - is it worth spending extra to get PAL progressive on the DVD player and then hook up via component or will I notice no difference from connecting via RGB scart in which case I could go for a cheaper player like the DVDS27? Any comments from anyone with a Viera who has tried RGB scart versus PAL progressive component?

CJ

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    go for the Better S75 unit as it gives you some nice touches for a few £ more than the Basic S27....

3. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    ...or upgrade your DVD-Recorder ? The new Panasonic recorders are PS capable via component and the picture is stunning. The result is excellent for a no nonsense connection that you will have going with minutes.

The Q-link between the Viera and a recorder is also frighteningly good. DVB programs switch the screen on/off, lock channels, switch recorder on & off. This can all be done whilst Viera is in standby as well, initial impressions aside, it only gets better !

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Actually Panny have been doing free DMR-E55 DVD recorders PS with Veira plasmas or half price DMR-E85 IIRC so you should have had a deal on one already........ having a second RAM player will be useful, I would go with a DMR-E55 one HDD should be enough....

5. cj28

cj28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice guys. I'd be thinking about the Panny DMR-E55 and I ordered one today. This hobby just keeps getting more expensive :)

CJ

6. Seanjackdan

Seanjackdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently bought the TH37PE30 plasma, and DMR-E75 Recorder, and both pieces of equip are superb, and PQ excellent, BUT I see no difference between component and RGB at all .......( and I have spent hours swopping connections about to make sure I wasn't missing something)

Spent £40 on component cable, and no difference at all, so I guess RGB Scart is just as good !!!!!!!

Sean..................