1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Viera & Freeview Problems

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Ekko Star, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Been having some problems with Freeview in the past couple of days.

Signal is usually very strong around here, +9 so not really a problem.

When I switch back from an AV source to Freeview I sometimes get rolling bars or a locked rainbow picture. A few channel changes tends to sort it out, but it seems the Viera has problems locking onto digital channels coming back from an AV source.

Not sure if it's the set or the transmission. Anybody else had these or similar problems ?

2. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Ok could be my bad. :rolleyes:

Big storm brewing up around here, and I have now progressively lost all Freeview channels (unplugged Plasma and satellite and most AV sources just in case !)

I will keep a beady eye on this matter though as it has done it on good clear day as well.

It only happens when switching back from an AVC source into Freeview. Viera owners please keep an eye out for it and let me know.

3. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    OK Freeview came back, but problem still exists occasionally.

Spoke to Panasonic who said it is not right. Got a replacement set coming on Friday morning, ahhh the virtues of JL.

Fellow Viera owners please keep a look out for this happening on your sets. When you switch back to Freeview from an AV source the screen goes funny, rolling blinds effect in front of the image on the screen before it eventually locks in. It is not a signal problem as the symptoms would be broken image or pixelisation. This is an intermittent switching and locking on problem. Panasonic said it should lock in and this symptom should not be apparent at all.

4. YahooSerious

YahooSerious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I get this from time to time. It takes about 2 seconds to lock in, and I would never spend time fixing it. Your next set will probably be excactly the same, as I've seen TV's doing this from all brands.

-Yahoo

5. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Both my freeview boxes lost all channels from transponder channels 40, 42, 43,, 45 and 46 (Sandy Hill TX IIRC). All I had left was C Beebies and BBC Radio 6 from channel 69!

Came back after a while though.

Haven't got a Viera so can't help with the problem with that.

6. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Yahoo, do you mean when you switch between AV and TV the screen should go black and then the new source should just kick in. That takes about 2 seconds.

What I get is sometimes the picture comes on, and it is all jumbled up, sometimes split screen, with rolling bars in front of it. A bit like but not quite when a tv tries to lock into an NTSC source, but can't quite manage it. Also sometimes the screen has become simply frozen with static diagonal rainbows. It does nothing and you have to change a few channels for it to clear when it goes into that state. That does not seem right to me, does your set do that as well ?

I have found it does it switching from AV4C back to Freeview the most often. I have a set top Freeview box and that has never exhibited this phenomenon.

Speaking to Panasonic they said screen should go black and the picture should simply appear, maybe with a momentary size switch. There should be no rolling pictures especially between PAL to PAL state.

Fraggle, yes Sandy is my TX as well, when everything started going down yesterday I thought just my luck the whole bloomin thing is going kaput on me ! :D