1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Viera flicker question...

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by ThaVipe, Sep 24, 2004.

1. ThaVipe

ThaVipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, read allot about plasma displays here and I'm thinking to purchase the 42PE30 , 42PA30 here in Holland. The only issue I see with the Viera is the #$@% flicker. Yes I've got a 100hz CRT tv and noticed the flicker right away in the shop. I searched this forum allot and can't find a answer on my itching question. Will the flicker disappear if you use pal progressive scan via component, allot of sites are stating that a progressive scan feed will be flicker free. My idea is to hook up sattelite (composite) to the home cinema system which then connects via component to the plasma display.
    Thanks for the answer and you guys are really doing a good job for all those new plasma newbies like me and sorry for my poor english :)

2. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    The viera is a progresive display device. It will not give you a 100 percent flicker free image. Some people are more prone to notice the flicker than others. i have had numorous 100hrz tvs before I bought my viera. When fed a progresive signal from my dvd player there is still a flicker. I only notice it if not looking direcly at the screen and only on very bright images like an almost white screen ect. The flicker is no worse than a noeon light bulb or a standard 50hrtz television. To be honest I am so used to it now I hardly notice it at all. I still preffer the viera to the crts I have had :thumbsup:

3. ThaVipe

ThaVipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I noticed it myself too , when you're not concentrating on it and look at the Plasma itself you won't see it indeed. Someone from Panasonic Netherlands almost confirmed that a progressive signal will not remove the flicker, after a little chat he made it clear to me that you certainly have to wait 2 years before all plasma screens are 100% flicker free and hey I don't want to wait so long. So my decision is almost made, buying the viera and not looking at certain parts of the screen :smashin:

4. andypearce

andypearce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Human peripheral vision is better at detecting motion than when you look at an object directly (which is why we say we caught something out of the corner of our eye.) This is why the flicker is often only detected when you are not looking directly at the screen.