1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Viera dimming problem

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by rich_b, Oct 11, 2004.

1. rich_b

rich_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my 37" Panasonic Viera for one week and I might have a problem but before I start ringing up support helplines I wonder if I've missed something silly. The problem is that about once a day the brightness/contrast level will suddently dim down to about half the current level. As I'm running the set in I've got the set switched to dynamic mode with the brightness and contrast values set to half-way anyway. So when the problem occurs it gets darker still! If I then select the Picture setup menu then it resets back to full contrast and then I have to alter it back down to half-way.

This has only happened when watching Freeview TV - although to be honest I've only watched a few short segments of DVDs so far - I'm waiting for the run in period to end before watching DVDs properly so it may well happen then too.

Does anyone know why this might be happening? I really love the screen and I just hope I don't have to part with it so soon after getting it. Thanks!

2. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Dont know for sure as I just got mine,but reading the manual it would seem that with Picture mode on Auto, the set self adjusts to ambient light. Theres a sensor on the front. You haven't got it in auto have you?

3. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    I have had mine momentarily switch down to very dark and then it goes back to normal within a split second. This only happened once or twice and not since.

In Normal mode.

4. rich_b

rich_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Happyh - that's interesting, I hadn't spotted that in the manual. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure I had to set to Dynamic. But I will double check when I get home tonight.

Ekko Star - That sounds like what happens except mine stays dark.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    take it out of DYNAMIC.................................
    set it too film mode..........Dynamic is not intended for domestic viewing

6. rich_b

rich_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK I'll do that. But I assume you meant 'Cinema' mode? I don't remember seeing a 'film' mode.

Out of interest, what is dynamic mode for?

7. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Yep,

Horny D meant to say Cinema mode as opposed to film mode.

Dynamic has a very high gamma setting so produces a very aggressive bright image. Best to use Normal/Auto or Cinema but try to keep off the Dynamic mode when initally running the plasma in.

*EDIT* If you do a search in this section for 'dynamic' you will find some interesting posts.

I've had mine up and running for about two months now and haven't experienced the problem you are having. Mind you I watch the AV inputs and not freeview as I have cable.

S.

8. Orlando

Orlando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I can't remember exactly, but I think there is something about a power save option in the setup menu. If you have this enabled the screen will turn down the brightness automatically if it senses a bright scene. I've turned mine off.
    I use normal mode for Sky and Cinema mode for DVD.
    These screens do settle down, I've had my screen for about 2 months now and was not that impressed with the brightness etc.
    I am happy to report that I am very happy with the screen now.

9. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    It's not the power save.

The screen just goes really dark, almost like an LCD display with the backlight switched off but an image still on the screen.

Mine has done that twice I think very early on, but it is now over 200hrs and has not done it since.

If anything was to go wrong with it, I got it from JL and it would simply go back.

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    sorry cinema its film mode on Fujitsu screens..........
    Dynamic is for shop displays and will give one quarter thats 1/4 or 25% of 60,000 hour quoted lifespan

11. rich_b

rich_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all for the input everyone. I'm now home and have checked the settings. It was in dynamic mode with the brightness, contrast (etc) values turned down to half - so hopefully it won't have affected anything permanently. I've now switched it into cinema mode in which all the values are set to halfway automatically and I've left it on those default settings for now.

Powersave has always been off - I remember setting that off when I first got it (and I just double-checked ;) ) so it can't be that.

Orlando - I'm glad you mentioned about the brightness getting better as I thought it was ok but not great. I look forward to the end of the 200 hour run-in time!

I guess I'll have to run the display in cinema mode for a while and see if it carries on dimming itself. At least we seem to have ruled out newbie error... for now... :smashin:

12. brackenlamb

brackenlamb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hey rich ,do the brightness levels actually change,so you physically have to adjust the levels on the remote or does it seem like it is,
    this is worrying as im just about to order one

13. rich_b

rich_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They actually change - it's very noticeable - like a 50% drop in brightness (or maybe contrast?). When I went into picture setup it automatically set itself to dynamic and the highest contrast setting so the picture went bright again - so I couldn't actually see what the values had changed to - then I had to manually adjust it down.

14. brackenlamb

brackenlamb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well atl east there is a proof of it doing something it shouldnt,
    its annoying when theres nothing to see.
    Hope you get it sorted,keep us informed,
    cheers brackenlamb

15. antsplan

antsplan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys

just reading these threads I have learned that I should be in Cinema mode, thanks for that. Out of dynamic mode fast ! :oops:

Without hijacking this thread may I also ask a few other questions:

P-NR and Mpeg-NR, I guess the NR is noise reduction ? What should I have these set at and what exactly are they ?

Also I keep hearing everyone talking about a 'magical' 200 hours when the screen should really be at its best, without being ignorant, just how do i tell without noting every time i have it turned on just when this time comes and i can start to adjust the contrast/brightness etc. I noted from other threads that certain screens have menus that will display running time etc, but havent seen anything about the Viera ?

Thx

16. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    P-NR is picture noise reduction and is meant to minimise picture noise during poor quality reception conditions and Mpeg-NR is meant to counter the artifacts that can be seen with mpeg compression, e.g. patches of dots around text. I guess everyone has their own settings but I prefer P-NR on and Mpeg-NR set to max. If you read your manual there should be some more info there.

200 hours is just an approximation, if you say view for 5 hours a night then give it approx a month on low contrast/brightness settings before turning up the settings to what you'd normally view.

The Viera has two main service menus and the last option on the 2nd menu will tell you how many hours the screen has been active for. I'd really avoid going into the service menu though as the TV can be trashed if you don't know what you're doing.

S.