1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Viera delivered with scratches on frame

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Daddy, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Daddy

Daddy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,

I took delivery of my new Panasonic Viera 37" Plasma a few days ago. It came from JL on the TV+stand+E55 for £2000 deal. Although the packaging seemed intact, when I took the wrapping off the screen I immediately noticed several scratches and "scars" along the black top border of screen. They cannot be wiped off and you can feel that they are contoured into the glass coating.

I immediately contacted JL Bluewater and they were fine about arranging a replacement but they are out of stock right now. They said I can use the current one in the meantime so no major hassle. I'm certainly glad I used JL now as I don't think it would have been so easy with some other companies.

Has anyone else had any problem's with theirs or was I just unlucky ? I don't want to get a scratched replacement !

Cheers,

Daddy.

2. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Does Viera have a service menu where you can check how many hours it has been on for?

I suggest you do this, as JL sent me a Pio 434 with 125 hrs on the clock once.

But, as you say, when you point out the error of their ways to them, they do bend over backwards to help.

3. Daddy

Daddy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Good call - I'll check it out. I'll need to adjust for the fact that I've had it a week though !

4. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    The black glass surround on the Vieras should have a protective plastic film that needs to be 'peeled' off. The film is there to protect against scratches during transport. Did your model have the film? If not then, your set has been used, or certainly unpacked from new.

S.

5. Daddy

Daddy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    That's interesting ! I know the kind of thing you mean and it would certainly make sense for something like a plasma screen. I did look for whether there was a film but couldn't see one. Maybe it's really well stuck on without any visible overlaps. Alternatively the screen has been used like you say, though if it was it was certainly convincingly re-packaged afterwards.

I will check tonight...

Thanks,

Daddy.

6. adrianl

adrianl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The film should be obvious if it's there! Instead of glossy black surround it will look dull (at first I thought it was a huge piece of protective perspex - good thin g I didn't try to prise it off!).

If it's not there then almost certain that they didn't send brand new unit. As others have said I expect JL will give you no problems replacing it - one of the reasons I like to deal with them on major items and as important as the guarantee.

7. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know whether this protective film should be on all Pannys or just the Viera? I got a PW7 just before Xmas and don't remember it having any kind of film on it, although it was certainly packed well. I'll also check the number of hours when I get home later...

8. killabeez

killabeez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Could anyone please tell me how to find the hours used on the viera ?

Many thanks in advance

9. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Check this thread.

10. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222

Wow, looks like i am getting famous :laugh:

ON the scratches, because the Viera is plastic on the front, it does seem very easy to damage. For goodness sacke make sure that what ever you end up cleaning the screen with is nonabrasive and designed for the job.
    Mine did come with the plastic film on it when i got it.

11. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    David, are you originally from Wickford by any chance?

:offtopic: :nono: :D

12. GazTheHat

GazTheHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I received my Viera 42" the other week, and it did have the clear film around the border. It's not un-detectable, so you'll either have it or not. Thankfully mine did.

13. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222

:offtopic: Why?
    Do I know you?

Send me a private message as to hide your details, and to stop highjacking this thread :)

14. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    So did mine & is very noticeable.

15. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Mind did also.

16. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    The protective film only covers the black glass surround and is really well stuck on and there are no visible overlaps if memory serves me correctly.

The only reason I mention this is that I bought my 37" Viera from Richer Sounds in Cardiff. They only had two sets in store and both were boxed but they were really good to open one of the boxes to allow me to see the TV. At the time we all thought that the black glass surround on that particular TV looked scratched and they were going to send it back to their central depot but having had my TV delivered it was obvious the TV in the shop wasn't scratched at all it was just the protective film. :rolleyes: :blush: My TV was sourced from the central depot anyways and not the local store since I wanted RS to deliver.

S.

17. Daddy

Daddy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    That's interesting - I'll have a really careful look at it tonight to double-check.

18. Daddy

Daddy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    **SHOCK NEWS!**

After much picking and scraping I managed to dislodge the top corner of what has turned out to be a PROTECTIVE FILM :clap:

I'm not exaggerating when I say that it was *totally* invisible and several people who looked at the screen before were adamant that there was no covering. It took a lot of persistent effort to reveal a tiny bit which I could then peel away. There's no way I would have been so aggressive if it wasn't already agreed that it be replaced ! I can only assume that it was some kind of manufacturing fault that it turned out to be quite so well attached.

Anyway it turns out all the scratches and marks were just in the film and now it is removed I have a lovely glossy black finish. Just an apologetic phonecall to JL service department tomorrow to cancel my replacement order and all is sorted.

Thanks for everyone's advice. Without the feedback I would never had persevered with the whole protective film thing !

Daddy.

19. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Excellent!! :cool:

Quality result! :thumbsup: As soon as I read your post I thought that was the case given my experience in the shop :devil:

Glad to hear it's all sorted :)

S.