1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Viera Connections

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Red-Arrow7, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Red-Arrow7

Red-Arrow7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I know this one has had some coverage in the past but I guess there is always a slightly different mix of equipment so if someone can guide me it would be great.

I will be connecting the following to a viera 37" and want to work out the best use of the various inputs. I would like to use component for the DVD and would like to retain the flexibility of not always having to use the amp (easier for the wife and kids) so I will need to feed the audio in on a scart:

-DMRE75 DVD/VCR (not sure if the DVD/video is all fed out of one scart)
    -Sky box RGB(soon to be replaced by sky+)
    -Yamaha amp etc

I have tried to work out the best combination to ensure I can record to DVD/tape but frankly it's giving me a headache!

Any advice wwould be much appreciated
    Thanks

2. premiercomms

premiercomms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I'm not the most knowledgeable in this area but I asked a very similar question.
    My Viera gets sound and picture from the Panny DVD recorder over SCART but I'm going to run the video from the component connections on the DVD recorder and audio remains on Scart. Component cable to AV4 c.

I haven't tried it due to lack of time but from what others have posted I should see a better PQ although I must admit the picture over Scart is good! I will have tried it tomorrow....thank god its Saturday

Hope this helps

3. steveho

steveho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I cannot see any difference in the quality between component and scart connections ,they are equally good.

Don't forget you cannot change the aspect ratio when viewing component progressive where you can with the scart (when you're watching anamorphic dvds to get rid of top and bottom borders)

I have 42 inch viera and a dmre-95

steve

4. Andy C

Andy C
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are correct about no automatic aspect changes when using component, however you shouldn't be getting rid of the top & bottom borders on DVDs... zooming to do that is just stretching the picture vertically, making people and objects thinner than they should be.

An anamorphic image on a DVD is only compressed horizonally (into a 4:3 frame), but when it's expanded to the left and right filling the 16:9 screen, the picture is correct.

But yes, you will need to manually change from 4:3 to 16:9 to remove the left and right borders, but if there are top and bottom borders then they are meant to be there.

Andy.

5. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Some times you wont see a difference between componnet and RGB scart. It depends on the equipment you are using and the leads you are connected with. In thery componnet should be better. It will also allow you to feed a progressive image in to the Viera if you have a dvd player that is capable of this.
    When watching an image that is progressive the Viera will stay in 16:9 mode. If you are watching an anmorphic disc make sure that the player is set up corectly to display it. If you are watching an image that is not anamorphic 16:9 then simple change to RGB scart input and that will allow you to switch aspects. :)

6. Kwozzii

Kwozzii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    What I would do is if the DVD/VCR does output by the one scart is put the scart lead into AV4 and component cables into AV4c.
    Then put your Sky box into AV2 on the recorder, this will use then be used as a 'pass through' so you can still watch Sky in RGB with the dvd turned off.

Kwozzii