Viera connections & home cinema

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Stevew2, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Stevew2

Stevew2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Firstly apology's if this has been asked before and if I have posted in the wrong section.
    I am looking for some advice regarding connections and home cinema kits.
    I have got a Viera 42pe30 with sky plus and a dmr55 dvd recorder.I have been thinking about buying the panasonic scht870 cimema kit,has anyone got one?,are they any good and if not what would you recommend.

Also(the more relavent question to this forum) is what is the best way to connect everything up.

thanks

Steve

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    You'll always get better performance from separate components, and the speakers on these things are usually a weak point. They do look nice though, if this is of primary importance perhaps it's a way to go. It doesn't seem to have a digital sound input though, so no dolby digital from sky+. That would be a shame. But it is quite cheap. The other question to ask yourself is how big is your room. This set has an extraordinary number of watts, but just how loud you could play it is a difficult question. I can tell you that 10% THD is way beyond the tolerable! Connection will depend on what you finally end up with, this one has 2 good ways to connect to the screen, scart or component video. As it doesn't offer progressive scan for region 2 DVD's either will do.

3. Stevew2

Stevew2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply,what system does have the digital sound that would be worth having.The room is about 15ft x 8ft and has only the tv at one end and a sofa at the other.

Regarding connection,am I right in thinking that a scart from Sky plus box to the DVD recorder,then a component lead from the DVD recorder to the Plasma.If so, what would be the best way to connect the cinema system to these units.

thanks

Steve

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    That connection will certainly work, try it, but as you have a DVD recorder which has pal progressive, why not just buy an AV amp and a speaker pack from a decent speaker maker? With the Viera, I'm tempted to suggest the Pioneer VSX402, which has 3 RGB capable scart inputs, and an output to connect to the screen. Several permutations are possible for connection, you could go sky+ to amp, amp to screen, amp to DVDR, and DVDR to screen. Then you'll have a non-dvdr route for sky+ which may be better, and still have an RGB connection for recording, and still have the pal progressive from your DVDR. I would not bother to use the DVDR to convert sky to component, I doubt it's as good electronically as the plasma, let the Viera do the work. A speaker pack from Tannoy or something would top this off nicely, and you'll have 3 digital connections, 1 optical will be spare for a console or whatever.