1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Viera - Connect DMR-E55 or DMR HS2

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by seany57, Oct 19, 2004.

1. seany57

seany57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TH42PE30 has been ordered from John Lewis (waiting on the Stand !! and with the package I get a DMR E55 recorder.
    I already have a DMR-HS2, so the question is the best way to connect all of these, or just one, and if so which one ?

The HS2 has no component connections so I have to use SCART here. Does the follwowing sound reasonable

Sky + to RGB Scart 1

HS2 to Scart 2 - I Believe this will give me all the Qlink functionality from reading earlier posts

E55 to Component and Scart4

Currently the HS2 and Sky+ are scarted togehter (Video out on the Sky box and Decoder Out on the HS2)

The HS2 is multi-region so I want to keep this with the Plasma, and we use the H/D function a lot (even with Sky +)
    But I really want ot make use of the component aswell as all the stuff I have read points to this giving the best picture from DVD.

Anybody have any sugguestions on the best config, and what would give the best picture quality on the Viera ?
    All advise gratefully received !!

Cheers

Sean

2. Pegleg2001

Pegleg2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Sean,

Took delivery of my Viera package last week and can confirm that E55 to AV4C (set by pressing AV and the blue button) via scart plus component connection gives the best picture when playing DVDs.

3. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Only AV's1/4 on the viera are rgb.AV2 on the viera is not rgb enabled (S /video only) so dont think youll get the best from the HS2 that way.
    You could connect it to scart AV4 with the E55 on AV4comp. But I then the E55 has no audio input to the TV (unless youre running audio to an amp. You dont say about that)
    Not sure what the answer is but hopre this helps

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    when connecting to AV4 use Scart and component this allows for Q-link recording of FV from Veira Digital tuner.
    Suggest E55 AV4 as above
    SKY TV scart> HS2 AV2 (RGB recording) HS2 AV1> VEira AV1 this way use HS2 to record and time shift sky at top quality (RGB) and E55 to record FV and terretrial and replay DVD. This will give you possibly the most flexible watch record system possible on a Veira.....

5. seany57

seany57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info so far .. things are already a lot clearer in my mind.

Just one more question (excuse mw if this sounds lame, but I am very new to all this !!)

E55 to AV4 makes perfect sense

Sky+ to HS2 AV2 and HS2 to AV1 Viera also makes sensse, but does this impact anything when I have Sky+ and the HS2 on together. Sky is pumped around the house, so it is feasible that I could be transferring some video onto the HS2 whilst everybody else is watching Sky

Obvioulsy the Viera will only get the picture of the HS2 , but will everybody else get sky ??

Again apologies if the answer is obvious !!

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    i think so......i think you have to set RF2 output as second tuner??? have a play with this .... I cant say for definate....

7. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If your sky is "pumped" round the house like mine, its from RF2 out of the skybox.
    And the answer is in the question.
    The rest of the house is watching an RF feed, which does not come from your digital DVD etc.
    So you should be fine.

8. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    If you loop your HS2 through your E55 and connect the E55 to the Viera AV4C and scart. You can then also benefit from having the HS2 RGB out converted into a Progressive output courtesy of the E55. A very nice feature to have indeed ;)

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It would be an even better feature if the prog scan chip in the E55 was better than the one already inside the Viera, I reckon it's not, all panasonic plasmas are quite good at deinterlacing. Try it and see, switch prog scan on and off to see which you prefer.

10. seany57

seany57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are correct, my sky is sent round the house by RF2 so your answers make perfect sense (it's sinking in fast !)

Like I say I am waiting for the Viera stand to come into stock, but there is nothing to stop me setting up the Sky+ and HS2 connections tonight .. and checking out how that works ..

I am assuming there is no loss in quality of Sky+ by effectively daisy chaining the Sky+ box and the HS2 ??

Sean

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    shouldn't be any loss mate or at least not visible... recordings should look event better (ones done after cable swap)

12. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Tried it on an E85 whilst I had it. RGB was very good, Component IL was better and PS was marginally better still.

I now use a Tosh XS32 PAL PS which on playback blows away the Panny recorders on PAL PS. Only the output from a Tosh SD900 IL shapes up to it.