Question Viera can find freesat satellite but only as "other satellite"

bf111

Novice Member
Hi,

Tl;dr : I tried retuning my freesat TV, it can see the satellite and get good signal, but only if I scan as "other satellite" instead of "freesat".

I have a Panasonic Viera TX-P50G20B. I have a satellite dish pointing to freesat, and 3 TVs in the house that use this. I noticed yesterday that the Viera is missing some channels compared to the others, and realised I hadn't retuned this one for about 10 years.

When I went to the menu to retune, it asked for a pin which I guess I set 10 years ago, and I couldn't guess it so I did a factory reset. Now, when I try to tune it, it says "Astra 2 satellite not found".

If I select "other satellite", it successfully finds all the channels, and if I check the properties of a channel, it says it is using the Astra 28.2E satellite. If I compare with my other Viera, this is the exactly the same. But on one Veira this is all done on the "freesat" option (exactly as it used to be before I tried retuning this TV), but on this TV I can only access as "other satellite". This means that my channel numbers are all random, and I've lost the TV Guide.

I can post some comparison screenshots if that's useful. I also tried doing an over-air software update and it said I was on the latest version.

Is there a way I can make it recognise the satellite it can see as being the freesat one?

Any help appreciated.

bf111

Novice Member
Seems to be the same problem as this thread. Sounds like the TV is hardcoded to look for a specific satellite ID? If I try to autotune on the freesat setting (this is the only option it gives, to autotune it), it says "Searching..." for maybe 1 or 2 seconds (and the progress bar moves up to about 5%) before declaring it can't see Astra 2.

But if I choose "Other satellite setup", it finds "Astra2/Eurobird" immediately.

The latest video from AVForums

LG SP11RA Soundbar Review Coming Soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom