1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Viera Bug?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by sabujo, Aug 5, 2004.

1. sabujo

sabujo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was browsing a large store here in Portugal for a wall mount to fit my future Viera in and when I looked to a wall filled will Jvc, phillips, pioneer, sony and 2 Panny vieras (37'' and 42''), suddenly I saw the image all screwd up (massive flickering and superinposing) on the Pannys but ok on all others. Of course they were all being fed from the same source: Eric Clapton DVD, the other recommended dvds section to be more precise. However this just happened when in a dark background started to appear from left and right some Large characters (a dvd title i cannot remember). As soon as the the scene changed, they got back to normal. This happened to both of them and in sync while all others remained unafected.

Any ideas as to what this is and how to solve it? Could this be "normal"? I know it afects more than one unit, maybe it afects them all. Any comments or advice are very appreciated.

2. sabujo

sabujo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    saw it again last night. Same dvd playing.

3. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Sabujo, whilst I have not had any flickering whilst watching any DVD per se I have experienced massive flickering/superimposing switching from AV4C to Freeview.

I have deduced that the first time the DVD switches to Component and then you switch back to TV you will get this extensive flickering. After that you can switch between the two a number of times and it tends not to happen.

I have had a new set delivered today and this exhibits exactly the same thing. I guess therefore it's a switching trait and not that great a problem because it only occurs on first switch on of DVD connection and not subsequent switching thereafter. It takes about 5~10 seconds for the picture to stabilise itself if it happens.

What you have seen does not sound too disimilar but was probably induced by some sort of coding on the DVD that was playing that only the Panasonic plasma's sense ?

TBH it's a non-issue in the scheme of things. When I originally saw it, I was worried it was maybe a fault, speaking to Panasonic they said it shouldn't really be happening,though if concerned should exchange my set. In all honesty I was concerned the replacement would have dead pixels and was wondering if it was all worth the risk. Luckily the new set is fine in that respect as well.

Don't let it deter you from a wonderful piece of kit.

4. sabujo

sabujo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ekko, but i'm not planning on giving up my order. I hope it is just minor software glitch. My dvd player (denver 186k) has a similar bug and i'm not planning on replacing it sooner either.