Viera aspect ratio and RGB->VGA questions

I

iangilroy

Hi,

I finally set up my Viera today. Initial reaction is that everything's much bigger than on my 36" Tosh PF2 :)

I've got a couple of questions that I hope you guys can help with:

1. When watching Sky (or using my PS2) via RGB SCART is it possible to use the 'Just' aspect ratio mode for non 16:9 material? My previous 2 widescreen TVs would automatically switch between 16:9 and their 'Just' equivalent as I changed channels on Sky...how can I do this on a Viera?

2. I'd be interested to know if anyone with a Viera is using the JS Technologies RGB->VGA box. How has it changed the picture? Pros/cons? Could I use a JS Tech box plus a widescreen switching device to acheive what I'm looking for in question 1?

Thanks in advance!

iangilroy said:
1. When watching Sky (or using my PS2) via RGB SCART is it possible to use the 'Just' aspect ratio mode for non 16:9 material? My previous 2 widescreen TVs would automatically switch between 16:9 and their 'Just' equivalent as I changed channels on Sky...how can I do this on a Viera?
I was curious about this myself, however when using 'Panasonic Auto' it appears to switch to 'Just' for non anamorphic material anyhow, it just doesn't name it. As far as I can tell, there isn't any way to manually switch to that mode though.

Andy.

That's strange - I think I was getting 'WIDE' on every Sky channel, regardless of whether the channel was showing anamorphic material or not. The aspect ratio did swap when I was flicking between terrertrial analogue channels though.

I'll have to try it again.

Turn to a channel that you know is showing a 4:3 image. Then go through all the aspect ratio settings untill you get to panasonic auto. this will then give the equwivelent of the just mode when watching no 16:9 anamorphic material.
Be aware though, this mode can show some distirtion on the sides of the picture on fast camera pans and tickertape info on things like sky news. Have a look for your self to see what i mean.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom