1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

viera arrives monday please help !!!!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by laurence harvey, Oct 9, 2004.

1. laurence harvey

laurence harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, 42 viera package due monday, i have searched for hours as to the best way to connect it all, im more confused than ever, i did try but i just dont get it.[ do i connect to tv or amp, use scart or component etc etc.. head actually hurts]
    can anyone please advise how to set up asap as i have to go buy cables and stuff.
    pioneer avr vsx-d814 amp has 2 component inputs [ dvd and tv/sat] & svideo and a **** load of other connections that scare me !!!!
    pace ntl digibox model dn 1400nc
    panasonic dvd recorder em 55 [comes with tv]
    I have two ixos scarts at the moment
    sorry to throw myself at your mercy again folks but i tried to search and find out for myself but i am totally confused. please help. need to order component lead or leads if i need them asap.
    :lease: :suicide:

2. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have similar and this works for me:
    DVD to TV: For best picComponent to AV4c.Set DVD to prog scan in setup
    Plus scart to AV4 for recording
    DVD to amp: for5.1sound get a digital cable (optical or coaxial)

NTL to tv: for pictureScart to TV AV1 (Set NTL to rgb if it has it)
    For sound :2 phono lead from TV audio out to amp tv in
    DVD to NTL to record: DVD Scart AV2 out to NTL vcr scart socket

You could connect DVD and NTL to the amp component then the amp to the tv component. this means that the amp switches the video.For sound :as above. But I doubt that NTL has component out so you will need a RGB -component convertor.Approx £80.I tried both and the first option is fine.

Hope this helps.If not just ask

3. laurence harvey

laurence harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks happyh, will try set up on monday, just got to get some components by monday now, :(

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  5. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Laurence,
    HD is right. Order the best component cables you can.
    To get the thing running on monday you can use any 3 cables with the banana connectors on the end.( ie they wont be best quality or coloured red blue and green but they will work.Eg rip apart a couple of 2 phono leads and use, say, 2 reds and a white.They will work till the good ones turn up.)

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    you prabably have a 3 RCA lead hanging around....... yellow red and white one? can use this as stop gap....

7. palace

palace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Vierra arrives tuesday please help! ;)

Reading correctly above then you have to have component leads and a scart from dvd to tv to get the best picture whilst being able to record?

One more question.If i connect a normal rf lead into the viera will I be able to record sky whilst watching the freeview or vice versa and would I be able to watch sky and freeview picture in picture?
    Thanks in advance

8. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    you will be able to record sky as the sky box is connected to the dvd via scart.And watch freeview via rf/ at the same time. Dont know about PIP.Havnt tried

9. laurence harvey

laurence harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks both, have some profigold interconnect cables left over, did not know i could use them as component as there are no r g b coding colours.
    thank u for taking the time to help guys, much appreciated

10. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Yes :) PiP allows selection between any combination of all 4 AV inputs, analogue tuner and DVB freeview tuner. The only thing you couldn't do is watch two different channels off the same tuner if that makes sense.

S.

11. Red-Arrow7

Red-Arrow7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Re the above I have a similar situation but with Sky+. If I set the Sky+ to RGB and plug it into AV1 on the Viera will it carry audio as well or do I have to take a feed out of the phonos to the amp. It would be better from the point of view of wife/kids if they don't always have to switch the amp on (as they invariably leave it on!)

12. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    That would work.Connect the phonos to the amp.and sky to av1 scart.The viera volume control will always work through its internal speakers.When you turn the amp on you will have to turn viera vol down to 0 or you'll be getting 2 lots of audio.

13. Nicebernards

Nicebernards

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too am looking to purchase the best possible leads to connect my new viera plasma to sky+. I am aware that I can use the RGB scart out on the sky+ but is it worth getting a component connection on the other end of the scart lead or should I just get scart to scart.

Anyone understand what I am trying to ask ???

14. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Nicebernards,
    I have my sky connected to viera through a good scart (settings to RGB)
    and the PQ is great.
    I do have an RGB to Component convertor box which I paid £75 for in an attempt to improve my prior crap plasma (Samsung). I am so pleased with the picture via scart that I haven't even botherd to try it on the viera.(Plus it leaves the only component input free for a prog scan dvd.Which I have and the PQ is faultless). I did think about connecting both sky and DVD to the Amp components then the amp to the viera but can't be bothered .The picture is good as it is. :smashin:

15. Nicebernards

Nicebernards

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's fantastic news, can't wait for tomorrows delivery !!!

I'll have to get new dvd player then, with progressive scan so I can hook up using the component to component leads. Any recommendations ?

Thanks for your help. :clap:

16. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm no expert on DVD's.Mine is a Pany E55 DVD recorder which is fine and I can recommend. The picture via prog scan is as good as I have ever seen on a TV.But , as I say,I am no expert.
    There seem to be a lot of vieras being sold as a package including this one or similar. Check with your supplier to see if they have a deal current and can upgrade your package.You might save a bit.
    One reason for sticking with Pany is the "Qlink" function whereby DVD and Tv "talk" to each other. It does seem to make recording etc easier.( I think some other makes will also do this but call it something different).Plus the two remote controls both work the basic functions of the other unit.