1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Viera 50" to SCHT 1500: connection advice

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by DaveBB, Jan 11, 2005.

1. DaveBB

DaveBB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Seen lots of similar questions - apologies but I have followed all the advice I have seen... at least I think I have. Suggestions gratefully received.

Just bought a Panasonic Viera 50" plasma TH50PV30B plus a Panasonic SCHT1500 multi region all-in-one. Connected it all up and the picture is generally excellent on dvds.... however I tried Finding Nemo - all those colours! - and on the fast moving scenes - eg when one of the orange fish move rapidly, there is a delay with the screen showing some elements of where a fin used to be. It only lasts for a split second - but its there nonetheless.

My question is - can this be improved? or is this the plasma's inability to refresh the screen fast enough?

My set up:

DVD to Viera > Component video and component audio

TV scart av4 > DVD av1 - normal scart lead
    TV Av1 > Sky (normal not +) - good scart lead
    Sky > DVD av2 - normal scart lead

aerial > sky > DVD > TV

DVD on progressive scan (tried off and there is no difference)
    AV4 set to Q-Link
    AV4 out to DVB
    AV1 video with component

I have taken the Viera off dynamic and switched it to normal and reduced most settings to 50%.

Is this the best I can do? Are the normal scarts the problem? Is it better to put the good scart in another connection - or should I just get 2 other good scarts (although I don't think this is the problem). I haven't connected all the ferrites up either... but again I doubt this is the issue!

Help greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Dave

2. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have a 50inch Viera Dave. I will check out Nemo tonight and let you know how mine performs. Is there a particular point in the film where it is most noticeable?

3. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Dave, are you watching dvd via AV4c (comp) or AV4 (scart) ?
    Sounds like you are watching AV4 scart
    If so, have you tried AV4 scart with the dvd set to RGB? The way you are connected sends a poor composite signal through AV4 and this could be a bit "smeary"

Are you sure that you've been watching AV4c when you turn Prog Scan off? On mine the difference is quite noticeable (better off)

4. Anthall

Anthall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Happyh, Whilst on the subject of progressive scan. Am i right in saying that there are no options on the viera to turn this on and off, it's purely done on the dvd player? If it is an option on the panel, i aint found it yet.

I also find better picture with prog scan turned off on my dvd player, and connected to AV4c.

Thanks.

5. DaveBB

DaveBB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    happyh asked

Dave, are you watching dvd via AV4c (comp) or AV4 (scart) ?

Well this might be the issue. I have component leads from the dvd player to the Viera. However, when I tried it before, without any scart connection betwenn the Viera and the DVD player I couldn't get a picture. So I have added a scart between av4 (viera) and av1 on the dvd player. Also made av4 q-link - this is a set up I've seen described elsewhere on the forums.

happyh again

Are you sure that you've been watching AV4c when you turn Prog Scan off?

No I am not sure - I believe I don't have an av4c option - only av1, av2 and av4. Don't know how to do this!!! (also at work so can't check at the moment)

alan8477 asked

Is there a particular point in the film [Nemo] where it is most noticeable?

Only checked the beginning - when Marlin and Coral are swimming at the start - when you get a close up of one of them you get the unwanted extra orange where the fin was a split second before - basically happens anytime any of the orange fish move their fin quickly.

Thanks a lot for your replies!

Dave

PS tested some other dvds (eg kill bill and terminator 3) and thought the picture was fab.... happy for it to be better of course! :)

6. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thats your answer Dave, you are watching a crap composite signal. (And with all that technology at your disposal!)
    Set the dvd to Prog off.Video with Component
    Select viera AV4 (blue button)
    Then keep pressing it. It scrolls through AV4/ AV4S/AV4c.
    Select AV4c

Ps dont remove the scart. Despite your post, you dont have comp audio.It isn't available/doesn't exist. The scart carries the audio

If you enjoyed the picture before, wait to be amazed! :)

7. DaveBB

DaveBB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    ok think i understand!!! (have seen the coloured choices and wondered what these were!) :confused:

Will retry tonight!

Thanks a lot!

Dave

8. nic@highgroundd

nic@highgroundd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Apologies for leaping onto this thread but I'm reading interesting stuff here.

Scart out of a Philips DVD-R 610/05 into the back of the Viera ... I thought was job done. Just what combination should I try to achieve the best picture?

9. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    You need to be more specific mate...

- AV1 will accept RGB or Composite, TV will auto switch to a detected RGB signal. The top left channel display will read AV1 for composite or AV1RGB for RGB.

- AV2 will accept S-Video or Composite, you will have to manually switch between the options by toggling the green button on the remote. The channel display will read AV2 for composite or AV2S for S-Video.

- AV4 will accept RGB, S-Video, Component (via RCA sockets) or Composite. The TV will auto switch to RGB but you have to manually select composite / S-Video / Component signal. Display will show one of four options: AV4 for composite, AV4RGB, AV4S for S-video or AV4C for component. Again as Happy has mentioned above you need to repeatedly press the blue button on the remote to switch between AV4/AV4S/AV4C whilst the TV will auto select AV4RGB.

S.

10. nic@highgroundd

nic@highgroundd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Cheers Steve.

Delving into the Viera manual I rigged up as/per diagram, PS2 on red AV (1), SKY TV on Green (AV 2) and DVD Recorder on blue, AV4. The next step (as discussed above) is the tricky bit. I'm a bit new to this stuff but keen to learn!

11. nic@highgroundd

nic@highgroundd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    While I'm at it, I don't know if you read a thread I started yesterday on the PS2 aspect ratio? - 2cm black border when selecting 'Panasonic Auto' with the PS2 set to 16:9. It does very occassionally fit to screen, but more often than not its border city.

Any ideas?

(yes, I can Zoom 1 but loose top and bottom)

12. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Nic, You need to look at the output options from your dvdr (I don't know your model)
    If it can do Component then that is best choice and you will need to buy the leads.
    Second is RGB, via scart
    Third is S video
    Last is Composite (usually just refered to as Video)
    As for the PS2, what does it do when the viera is on 16:9 not Auto.
    I stopped using Auto as I think it gets confused at times

Or maybe thats just me :rolleyes:

13. nic@highgroundd

nic@highgroundd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the run-down, that's simple to follow, I think I've got an RF cable in a box somewhere ;)

The PS2 in 16:9 is 'almost' identical to 'Auto', in that it heralds a black border left, right, top and bottom (approx. 1.5cm all 'round). I was 'surprised' that the Viera didn't detect the black (charcoal gray) areas and jump the signal to fit.

Did you notice the line in the manual, screen burn (can't recall their term) occurs when a logo or static image is shown 'for an extended period of time' (is that two minutes or fifteen hours?).

14. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Nic, have just re-read and see you have sky to viera AV2.
    The best PQ will be with skybox set to RGB out. And AV2 cant accept it. Move it to AV1.

15. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    RF Cable? :eek: :p

With regard the PS2 you may find that games that have sloppy ports from NTSC will have black borders to them.

'Extended period of time' in relation to screen burn means hours worth of static image, not minutes :)

Hmm your PS2 will look it's best on either RGB or component and if you want your sky to look good too then you will have to either share your AV1 between PS2 & Sky or your AV4 between DVD & PS2. I don't suppose you have anything that can use S-video into AV2? The picture quality on PS2 with S-video is not a patch on RGB or Component. Avoid RF & Composite like the proverbial plague.

*EDIT* You could also use the pass through function of your DVD recorder (assuming it can do full RGB pass through) then you could leave your PS2 -> AV1 on TV and Sky -> AV in on DVD Recorder, DVD -> AV4. This would mean that you need the DVD on in order to watch Sky though.

S.

16. DaveBB

DaveBB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    happyh said:

Thats your answer Dave, you are watching a crap composite signal. (And with all that technology at your disposal!)
    Set the dvd to Prog off.Video with Component
    Select viera AV4 (blue button)
    Then keep pressing it. It scrolls through AV4/ AV4S/AV4c.
    Select AV4c

Well I tried this and I am sure it is a lot to do with the problem - however, when I switch the blue button until I get AV4c, I lose the picture entirely (I keep a reduced level of sound only) - hence I am using av4 and therefore the scart......

What am I doing wrong? :rolleyes:

Dave

17. DaveBB

DaveBB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    PROBLEM SOLVED!!!! :thumbsup:

Thanks to those that contributed...... I feel a little dumb having worked out the problem........ happyh was 100% right - no smearing now at all....

and the solution?......

Make sure the compnent cables are properly pushed home to their sockets! :suicide:

Oh well!

Thanks - and good watching for me! :D

Dave

18. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Good news. Bet the picture's a bit better now! :)

19. DaveBB

DaveBB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Yup all is well in the world!

Dave