1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Viera 37PE50 and pc

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by rab4169, May 11, 2005.

1. rab4169

rab4169
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi i asked a few questions on a previous thread but still no satisfactory answer so thought i`d try a dedicated thread.
    i am seriously looking at the above plasma (Viera 37PE50 ) but has no vga input for computer. the graphics card i have is an ati 9700 and have purchased an adapter to give component out of it .
    can i connect this to the panasonic components and then use with windows media centre and if i set a resolution of say 1200*720 or in that region will it just be adjusted by the tv to fit its resolution?
    thanks
    robert

2. Orangelo

Orangelo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have the Viera, so you should still look for an answer from someone who has actualy tried hooking a PC to that plasma. But in theory, assuming that the plasma supports 720p through component inputs, you should be able to do what you propose, emulating a 720p signal in your computer. You may want to try Powerstrip for that purpose, an application that has many presets for HDTV signals. For 720p you should try 1280x720, at 50hz for PAL, and 60hz for NTSC. The end result depends very much on the Plasma and the settings, so you may have to try different values in Powerstrip as well as the tracking & phase and other adjustments in the Plasma.

3. kenji-san

kenji-san

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello rab,

i have a radeon 9600 + the dvi-component adaptor too, and, using powerstrip, i have briefly tried it on my new 42pa50(42pe50). As orangelo mentions, not all the resolution presets will work. And there's often a problem with overscan.
    Have a look in this thread, this guy made alot of of custom resolutions,and some of them have worked for me.
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=206854&highlight=t&r.

edit: If you're willing to spend some time and try out various resolutions, and adjust the overscan, in the end it's perfectly achievable to have your 1200*720 resolution. It just takes abit of patience,and testing. :)

4. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    My larger Viera has a VGA input under the fron flap. Doesn't the 37" have one also? I thought they all had the same inputs.

5. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Whilst the older PE30 Vieras have the VGA port under the front flap the newer PE50 Vieras have no VGA input at all. The high def PV500 Vieras have the VGA port mounted on the back of the panel with all the other AV inputs.

S.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    PV500 still have a front flap with AV3 connections but VGA is on the rear