Viera 37" vs Philips 9986 32"

Discussion in 'Philips TVs Forum' started by roswell69, Aug 2, 2004.

1. roswell69

roswell69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'm new to this so some opinions would be good.. is plasma or the latest generation of LCDs the way to go? I'm leaning towards the philips lcd at the moment but could be wrong, i have a budget of £2500 for the display... what would you buy? :confused:

this is probably a repost but i'm to lazy to check! ;)

2. Acidburn

Acidburn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hehe nice, i currently seeking a lcd display to but...theres so many questions ...

3. Orlando

Orlando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I would go for the Viera, as I own one and know how good it is!

4. rooney

rooney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    dont think ive seen very good coments about philips lcd/plasma on these forums

5. Gregorski

Gregorski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thats quite misleading, as from what I've read, Philips plasma are not at all highly rated, but Philips LCD appear to be amongst the best available...

6. rooney

rooney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    misleading?

people tend to be going for panny sharp lg then philips

do a search for philips lcd

dont own one so i cant realy coment just going from what ive read on these forums and in magazines

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Have you seen the Panny 32" Veira LCD??? I would make it a choice between 2 pannies and forget the philips TBH Philips are out on there own... Also consider JVC 32" LCD butforget the 35" JVC Plasma!

8. idhutt

idhutt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Roswell

If you do a search for 32PF9986 you will find very many satisfied users. Likewise the same for veira. There were quality control issues which Philips, much to their credit, have acted on leading to the product being temporarily removed from sale. Hopefully all appears to be resolved going forward and I would expect their sales will pick up again.

I've shortlisted the Philips and would have done the same with the Veira, but it didn't have DVI/HDMI input. I think Panasonic have aimed the Veira as a TV replacement, plug it in and forget it. The Philips appears to require more tinkering to get the best out, but it does appear to reward those who have tried very well indeed. Other than the obvious styling differences, analogue/iDTV tuners and screen size (Philips have a 37" version out soon, Panny have a 32" version now), I guess this is what really distinguishes the two.

Another on my shortlist is the G/Titanium series from Sharp.

-Ian

9. carlton

carlton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Idhutt u are correct,the philips 9986 is probably the best lcd screen available
    at present with only the latest sony coming close to it.Like u said with the philips having a dvi port i'd go for that for 720p and 1080i.

10. jdl

jdl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If you really want to enjoy the Pixel Plus 2 benefits is wise for you to avoid the 720p. ;)
    Sounds odd but theres a lot of tech talk behind this.

11. Gregorski

Gregorski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You must have been reading a different forum to me. The majority of people with both the current model and last generation 30" Philips are extremely happy with them and from what I read on these forums are at the top level in LCD with Sharp.

I haven't seen many posts about Panasonic LCD at all. Most panasonic posts are about plasma.

12. Tonester

Tonester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wrote previously saying that there was a very poor picture on the 9986 in Curry's. This has now been fixed and it looks very close to Panasonic LCD in quality if not a little better. When are the Philips going to roll out there next stock?

Also can someone explain the component input problem of the Philips (in simple speak!)?

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    If it is the same as the plasmas, it will only accept progressive video (ie you need a Prog scan DVD player)

14. jdl

jdl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    First the new sets will be out at the end of this month. :clap:
    The tv can accept all kind of progressive scan signals through its DVI-I port, cables and adapters included in the box.
    But the Pixel Plus 2 and the Digital Natural Motion algorithms are 100% fuctional when you feed the set with all kind of the connections EXCEPT the DVI-I port.
    Some resolutions like the 480p / 576p and 1080i uses some Pixel Plus 2 options but not all of them ( around the 75 to 80 % of this algorithm power) and the Digital Natural Motion algorithm is tottaly disabled and the 720p resolution disables Pixel Plus 2 algorithm tottaly.
    What this means in real life is that you probably going to get better results using the Scart RGB connections ( full power of the Pixel Plus 2 and Digital Natural Motion ) instead of the DVI-I input and the progressive scan signals.
    Cannot bring it simpler than that. :hiya:

15. Beck

Beck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a panasonic 32 in LCD and am not that impressed, I think it might need tweaking but have no idea how to go about this, any clues on solving smearing issues?

16. roswell69

roswell69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies, still no closer to picking between these two! guess i'll have to spend the day at john lewis when philips release the 9986 :rolleyes:

I'm probably being stupid with this one :D , but as a PC user working in 1920 x 1200 resolution the idea of watching something in a resolution of 852 x 480 sounds a bit scary, how noticable is the higher resolution on the lcds?

within the next 3 weeks according to a few retailers i've spoken to, apparently they're negotiating prices at the mo..

17. carlton

carlton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jdl i know what u saying about 720p and pixel plus 2 but i think if u were to select movie mode on the philips and switch off pixel plus 2 and then feed it 720p it would be a better picture then with pp2 as tbh pp2 makes things worse then better.(well at least with the crt set 9509)