1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Viera 32" LCD Progressive Input

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by remdude, Aug 17, 2004.

1. remdude

remdude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I recently purchased a Panasonic Viera 32" LCD Screen (TX-32LXD1) and a Pioneer 575 DVD player.

When I alter the component output to a progressive output, it mentions that the screen has to be 420p or 576p capable. I know very little about what this means, can someone give me an idiots summary?

I know that the higher the number the better the picture.

What is my LCD screen showing me?, the 420 or the 576p?

Also, I have read about cheapish DVD players from Germany that can output 780p (i think) and 1080i, does my LCD TV support these inputs? Would it be worth purchasing one?

Thanks for you help

REMDUDE

2. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    its all about dots, the more dots that make up your screen, the better detail your display can show you if it is recieving a High resolution source.

normal TV is 720x576 dots, in the us they get HDTV broadcasts at 1920x1080interlaced and 1280 x768 progressive, as u can see these two resolutions have more detail.

right now HDTV isnt available in the UK, and DVD's are just 576 or 480 standard, however they are progressive which means the image is rock solid like a PC monitor image, where as normal TV in the UK the interlaced image flickers .

some xbox games support 720p making them look almost like PC games in quality.
    also their are HDTV WM9 movies coming out and HDTV WM9(windows media 9) DVD player out very soon.

so just like DVD beat VHS, HD-DVD will soon own DVD

its all about the pixels