• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Vidon AV200 XBMC and 3D media player

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Hmm.... full menus usually means Cinavia.

rolandrat

Yep, had one since start of the year, I wasnt going to bother, but I couldnt resist.
Main points, DTS-MA, True-HD passthrough does work, it does let you manually select 24p frame rate, so stuff is nice and smooth, NFS and samba works from within XBMC, interface runs at 720p only, no 1080p xbmc interface, but video is 1080p. I mostly have mkv files and its fine playing this stuff.
I have a few Bluray rips and the ones I have it does try well to play menus, but they are slow in places especially when you press menu items, dont think chip has the power. 3D blurays will switch to 3D, but not if using full menu, need to use main title option when selecting film in xbmc.
Others bits and pieces - releases of their custom xbmc come quite thick and fast, firmware for box is a bit slower. xbmc interface itself runs very well.
Overall not a bad effort, just wish android platform could auto frame rate switch.
And no, Cinavia awol.

jon smith

Great. Thanks for the detailed review. Did you buy from vidon.me or through dvdfab? Does the box auto launch into xbmc or do you have to select an app? Is the remote infra red so I can use harmony? Is the box fully usable with just a remote control, as I see people using the mouse a lot on youtube.

Does it have any obvious gaps? 3D MKV MVC or 3D ISO? 3D subtitles? Forced subtitle issues or similar? HI currently have a PCH A410, but I do miss the simplicity of xbmc for the family to use.

Last edited:

rolandrat

Ordered direct from Vidon.me, cost about £110 all in. Doesnt auto launch but after booting it is one click and it starts, but I leave the box on all the time running in xbmc so it auto updates the library.
Remote, yes IR so Harmony will work. If just using xbmc then just remote is fine, I believe some of the android apps are better switching to mouse mode (this is on the remote also, with direction keys), but I dont use any of these to be honest. 3D ISO works, but isnt perfect, buffers usually when changing chapters. Havent got any 3D mkv mvc to hand. Never really understood what this 3D subtitles means, but Im sat here testing Avatar 3D iso from a NAS drive, subtitles turned OFF, when Navi speak the yellow fancy font subtitles come up. Also forgot one thing, comes with USA power adapter so you need a convertor for the plug to UK plug.
Although its a great effort, I would probably put money towards a Intel NUC running the various different versions of xbmx, openelec etc, but you would lose the attempt at bluray menus.

jon smith

Again, thankyou very much for that. Some players have issues with 3D subtitles showing on the wrong plane, so they throw out the picture (when they should be in 3D).

I've used openelec before so have been looking at similar options as long as they have built in IR, but would lose the full 3D functionality and there always seems to be issues like black crush or BIOS issues. Have always been put off the android options by lack of bitstreaming, so was tempted by this. Not really after BD menus as i prefer to boot straight to the movie.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Android can't auto switch frame rates so a platform specific player library is needed.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom