1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vidocq - anyone know anything about it?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by tryingtimes, Apr 4, 2002.

1. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    It looks really interesting
    DDDhouse have it on R3 now!

The official website is at
    www.vidocq-lefilm.com

Anyone know if it's meant to be any good. It certainly looks promising.

Cheers
    Alex

2. fbwfs

fbwfs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    !!!WARNING!!!! DO NOT BUY THIS FILM!!!!
    Spare your money for another movie,or anything else.

I'm french and i have just discovered this forum,but when i saw this post about vidocq,i felt that i must warn you about this film.

The story isn't so bad,but everything else is.
    You see what you get with a dv camera?Vidocq is like thet,even what's real seems not to be,and shooting with a fish-eye 1 foot from the actor's face isn't really a good idea.
    It's not just my opinion,but also the one of a lot of members of the french forum where i spent a lot of time(homecinema-fr.com)

Sorry,but even if it's look promising,the result is not good,actually it's bad,very bad.
    The best advice i could give is if you really want to see vidocq,loan it before buying it,you'll avoid disapointment.

Sorry if my english not perfect,i don't pratice a lot.
    Bye.

3. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    Thanks fbwfs
    I appreciate your comments.
    It sounds like a shame.
    I will continue to look into it but I guess it hasn't reached it's full potential.

The only review I've found in English also said it was a disappointment.

I'm sure you'll get plenty of practice if you stay on these forums:)

Regards
    Alex

4. European

European

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone else have a comment to make about this movie? I'm thinking of buying it.

Does anyone know if the French 2-disk has English subs on all the extras? If not, I may as well go with the R1.

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    There was an indepth review of the cinematography of this film in a US magazine called....American Cinematographer April 2002

It's an interesting read. It was filmed on HiDef Video camera's. It is visualy strange to see, heavily filtered and saturated images abound.

The film is a shocker though. At halfway I thought it was just plain stupid. If you want to find out more though I'd sugest tracking down a copy of the Mag. I have been lent it by a customer/forum member. I guess he'll need it back though.

Perhaps I'll email him and ask him to pop in and comment as he leant me the film too!

Gordon

7. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have to agree with fbwfs. It loooked so promising but is diappointing to say the least. The picture on the french DVD is perfect sound is great but the film......
    I think that u can't go too wrong with the HK disc as they are dirtcheap and just a bit more expensive then a rental.
    The french DVD ios great but only useful if u understand french, have a lot of money and like the film.
    HTH

8. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Gordon and Lux, may check out the HK disk then. Is it anamorphic do you know?

BTW, French disk is supposed to have English subs. Does it not then?? :confused:

9. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    yes but only on the film. the commentary and extras on disc 2 are nonsubtitled(AFAIR) Now it would be stupid t spent over 35€ on a 2DVDset then.

10. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where do you shop? :eek: Actually only €24 plus P&P from here:

http://www.dvdzone2.com/dvd/detail.asp?id=118624

Around the same price as I could get the R1 for, but little point if there's no subs on disk 2 though. Cheers :)

11. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That's the belgium release and has only dutch subs. It also misses the audio commentary. Or dvdzone2 use the wrong cover.
    There are two versions the belgium and the french, very similar but not identical. the french DVD looks like this:

[​IMG]

belgium
    [​IMG]

Now either dvdzone2s cover is wrong or the subtitle track they list.
    the dutch and the belgium release seem to be identical except for the cover
    HTH

confusing eh?

12. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lux,

DVD Zone 2 only sell French and Dutch R2s from what I can gather from their site, so it can't be the Belgian R2 :confused: It's listed as of French origin and they have a separate entry for the Dutch R2 here (origin listed non-specifically as Benelux)

http://www.dvdzone2.com/dvd/detail.asp?id=119402

so it must be just the cover art wrong for the French R2 on their site :)

Shame that the Dutch release only has Dutch subs because it looks like a lovely digipak.

According to Amazon.fr, the French R2 has English subtitles (as you said before):

http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/dvd/B00005OL31/tech-info/402-4538373-5932130

Ironically, DVD Zone 2's offices are based in Belgium but they don't sell Belgian DVDs :rolleyes:

Anyway, not much point me buying any of them because no subs on disk 2 of French, as you said, and no English subs at all on Dutch :(

13. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Oh yes they sell belgian discs!!
    My Belgian Black Hawk Down 3DVD special edition is from dvdzone2.com!
    This is all very confusing. but luckily enough the film is not worth all that trouble. Try the R3 if u want. and if u are that fascinated u can get the 100% sure french from amazon.

14. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I give up :laugh:

I just hope the French R2 of "Hard Eight" that I ordered from them is gonna be okay when it arrives :rolleyes:

I can't find any definitive specs on the R3 for Vidocq so I'm going to hold out for the R1 to drop in price. Safest bet all round I think, given the confusionment :smashin:

15. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    don't worry if it takes too long.
    When they deliver stuff to my Luxembourg address discs usually arrive within a few days. When they posted to my UK address it took 9-10days. Just to let u know in case u haven't used them b4.

16. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers, but I wasn't worried about that. I was specifically after the French R2 and now you're making me think they might be sending me the Belgian R2 which might have different specs. Have to wait and see.

17. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I wouldn't worry about that. It's a columbia tristar. Their french and belgian DVDs are equal except for the ratings logo on the back:)

18. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers, sounds promising.

Might be cut though - how would I know, Rewind don't give censorship details for the Belgian release :(

19. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The belgians (just like the french and dutch) don't cut their DVDs. The only countries (in the EU) cutting their films are UK and Germany(dunno about eastern Europe but not many DVDs come from there...yet).
    That's at least what I learnt over the last few years.
    Details of the french DVD:http://dvdfr.solexine.fr/dvd/dvd.php?id=1954

no mention of any cuts. The one I know that is cut: The rock first edition:http://dvdfr.solexine.fr/dvd/dvd.php?id=1274
    They would tell u if it was cut.

Then again the UK version is not cut:http://www.bbfc.co.uk/website/Class...6631CF3D4D0A4A738025660B003E4100?OpenDocument
    neither is the german version:http://ofdb.persephone.net-build.de/view.php?page=film&fid=12180
    So I wouldn't worry about that;)
    HTH

If only I was this good in doing research for my University degree, I'd have my first in notime:D

20. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  21. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    I have it. It's cropped from 1.85 to 4:3. The audio's nice (either 2.0 surround or 5.1) but the subtitles are weird. Not really any extras, as you'd expect.
    I love the film but I can't be bothered to upgrade until the alternatives are cheaper than at the moment.
    Personally I really loved all the extreme close-ups and surreal looking brightly coloured cgi work. Made it look like it came off the pages of a picturebook.
    The story's a bit odd (or silly, depending on your viewpoint), but then from the people behind The City Of Lost Children and Delicatessen, it was always going to be.
    Actually one of the more interesting films I've seen in a long while. Quite violent in places and with some fine gratuitous cleavage shots:p

22. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers. I definitely won't be buying it :thumbsdow

23. Chris Bellamy

Chris Bellamy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have the French version (lent to Gordon). Not exactly a classic film, but I bought it out of interest because of the DV camerawork. This is very interesting – very sharp with increased depth of field here and there obvious c/w film camera work. The colours are striking and quite fun: the DP wasn’t available during post production [a common problem these days] to advise on digital recolouring and grading etc, but he seemed overall very happy with the result, excepting a comment that he thought the sky colours were a bit too overblown at times.

Story is relatively predictable whodunnit stuff, and the pc-generated SFX are clunky at times. Not worth buying at full price (I did), but worth borrowing/renting to get a look at the visuals – love them or hate them!

Chris