videos won't play on windows media player or VLC media player

WeeTeuchter

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi

I bought a sony camcorder and took a couple of practice vids, problem is they play fine on the TV but when try to connect it to the laptop it wont play. Any ideas how i can resolve this?
wmp said it didnt have the required codec??

thank you

Not a lot to go on - at least you know the footage is OK.

Have you established the format of the footage?
If it's HD then m2ts is quite common - but this should be available for WMP (but with Win7 you'll need Windows Live Movie Maker - to Edit. - So I wonder if there is a special "Player" option needed, too?).

However, don't expect quality playback unless yr laptop. PC is multi-core and lots of memory, etc.
Many here like Windows Media Player Home Cinema, but sometimes it just sticks at black (I've not discovered why, as the clip plays OK in an Editor, so I guess it's not corrupted...). However, my WMP seems to play OK.

Are you sure that WMP and VLC are the latest versions - VLC had a big update recently.

VLC uses a lot of resources so doesn't work too well if the PC is a bit underpowered. The latest version seems even worse. I went back to the previous version as it wouldn't stream HD video on my i3 laptop where the earlier version does

Try Splash-Lite

Free Splash Lite - Next Generation Player homepage

It's said to even play back HD on newer netbooks. :D

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom