Videoprojektor Sony VPL-VW10HT

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Nething, Oct 16, 2000.

1. Nething

Nething

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would like to buy an Videoprojektor for looking videos at home. I own an JVC HRS 7611 S VHS Recorder.
    Which projektor is the best value. In tests I read that the Sony should be the best one.
    Is there an better one for about the same price?

Thans a lot for your help.

Regards Peter

2. oml

oml

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately I do not own a Sony VPL-VW10HT. But I am a proud owner of its predecessor, the VPL-w400.
    This is a great projector. I couldn’t be happier (well, if I got my hands on a 10ht I might be).
    A minor problem (in my mind) with all LCD projectors is the black level (It never gets really black). The only real problem with the 400 is the fan noise. I have an enclosure called the WhisperFlow to take care of this.
    But this is not a problem with the 10ht as it is very quiet, 29dB only.
    These two Sony projectors are the only two real LCD/DLP HOME THEATER projectors as they are the only ones to sport true 16 : 9 LCD panels (as far as I know).

------------------
    Ole M, Norway

have fun go mad

3. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For true 16:9 projectors try also: Toshiba MT7 and Sanyo DLV30

4. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Correction - Sanyo DLV30 (should read PLV30) is 4:3. The only Sanyo with a true 16:9 panel is the PLV60.

Peter,
    The Sony VPL-VW10 is a great value projector. Lots of people have bought them and are very happy with the quality.

Regards

5. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,314
    Peter,

Like Chris said the Sony is a very popular Projector and you should get one under £4000 as Sony try to get rid of stock before the 11HT hits the shelves.

Incidently a Dealer friend today told me that the 11HT will retail new at £4,800! :eek:

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,000
    As others in this forum will know, I am a very happy VW10HT owner. It's a great machince, capable of excellent results. A word of warning, however; you WILL find that SVHS, when enlarged to the sort of size you might expect with a front projector, looks a bit poor. VHS is much worse. You WILL want to get DVD to use the projector to its best potential.

There is an excellent discussion forum, giving huge amounts of info, FAQs, tweaks, etc, for the VW10 at www.thebigpicturedvd.com

7. Jinxybbc

Jinxybbc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I had a sony 400,up intil I was offered a sony vw10ht for £3,700 earlier this year, and apart from the quieter fan and overall brighter piture there is no obvious difference. I would if poss turn back the clock and stick with my old sony 400 !!! This is sad I know but I have never been able to get a piture as good as the 400. I am using a dv737 through componet ???
    The difference in price from the sale of my 400 to the 10...not worth it. Good luck.

8. Jinxybbc

Jinxybbc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I had a sony 400,up intil I was offered a sony vw10ht for £3,700 earlier this year, and apart from the quieter fan and overall brighter piture there is no obvious difference. I would if poss turn back the clock and stick with my old sony 400 !!! This is sad I know but I have never been able to get a piture as good as the 400. I am using a dv737 through componet ???
    The difference in price from the sale of my 400 to the 10...not worth it. Good luck.

9. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    You are far from alone in prefering your old 400, several people contacted me privately saying much the same in my massive quest for a projector.

10. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,000
    The 400 WAS an excellent machine for its time. IMHO, the VW10 is much better.

1) It is much quieter (fan noise)
    2) Some examples of the 400 had a tendency to display what was affectionately known as "green fog". The VW10 has an extensive array of adjustments (in the factory menu) to prevent this.
    3) The number of pixels is doubled in the VW10. This means that the image structure, although good on the 400, is even less visible on the VW10. It also means that any failed pixels are half the size (and therefore half as intrusive). Note that pixels rarely fail during use; bad pixels are a manufacturing flaw, present from new.
    4) The VW10 has component inputs. I don't believe the 400 has. Component is by far the best signal protocol for this projector.

11. Cliff

Cliff
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,439
    I thought I might add to the discussion, as my first (and it still is) projector was the Sony VPL400. I selected it because, at the time, there was nothing else to touch it. For an LCD the blacks were pretty good and the colours were rich and natural. It was the only 16.9 available and I wanted it for my early US purchased RCA DVD player. When the 10 came out I was first in line for a demo. Well, yes it was an improvement in some respects. I thought the picture was subjectively sharper especially on zoomed letterbox sources (early DVDs and laserdisks). It could also accept progressive scan which attracted me at the time. But after the demo, some common sense prevailed (rare) and I decided the extra cash wasn't worth it.
    My 400 still works well in a home contructed sound proofed box using component inputs from a Tosh. The vertical resolution of the LCDs are only 480 so PAL sources are sold short.The HT10 can do full justice to 625 line sources.
    My only bugbare with the 400 is that if there is a bright white area, colours can change in the darker areas to the left or right. (no amount of adjustment fixed this)

I am still waiting for that real step forward in projection technology. Maybe DLP when they have got the rainbow flicker sorted out.

Cliff

PS Nething, if the HT10 is going for around 3k then buy (check for dead pixels first though!)

12. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    There are more differences between the VPL-W400Q and VPL-VW10HT than you perhaps give credit to in your 4 summarized points. Some good. Some bad. It wasn’t all a step in the right direction. Hence, many people preferring the old VPL-W400Q.

1. Quieter projectors are always preferred. The VPL-W400Q biggest downfall and addressed very well in the replacement VPL-VW10HT. Cinema black mode (improving the already poor blacks a little but radically reducing projector noise to a class leading level).

2. Green fog, anything to get rid of these problems is welcomed. Green fog was actually down to manufacturing on Prism assemblies. Personally, I call that a manufacturing fault and any amount of software fudges can’t solve the problem. Proper assembly of the Prism would.

3. Pixel resolution isn't all it is cracked up to be. I always thought I needed the highest resolution possible. I found the reality quite different (for both Plasmas and projectors) for Home Cinema. They might be a case for computer games at higher resolutions but then you are into other problems. You only need to look at the Toshiba’s and Sanyo PLV30 to see that many popular projectors use a relative low spec but people prefer / buy them for what ever reason (and not always cost). Most bulb projectors have very indifferent de-interlacing solutions (but good scaling) and this is just over emphasised on higher resolution panels where all the ‘jaggies’ show really badly. I think there is allot to be said for panel resolution to be multiples of the DVD resolution but hey, they are all computer formats like SVGA, XGA. Not very Home Cinema IMHO. I haven’t found resolution to be one of the limiting factors in my enjoyment of projectors. By passing the internal de-interlacing helps greatly but Sony don’t make this easy solution on the VPL-VW10HT. It could have been though.

4. There is little difference between component and RGB signals re picture quality. Many people preferring RGB as a more universal standard, certainly the DVD / TV / HCPC brigade. Component may be preferred on the Sony VPL-VW10HT but this more down to the major limitation of the Sony RGB interface (apparently corrected in the 11) than any ‘super feature’ like having component input. People have problems with 16:9 RGB signals (locked to 4:3!), above 15kHz issues (indifferent sync’ing) and RGB signal addressing the whole panel directly (just not possible!). The Vigetec solution seems to work okay but is far from satisfactory for most people who use these formats. I think Vigetec just fool the Sony VPL-VW10HT into it’s in 720p mode. The Vigetec scaler costs as much as the projector! It has prevented many people from buying the VPL-VW10HT in the first place. Hence Sony changing things in the 11. Sony are not alone in this, see recent Toshiba / Sharp post on exactly the same subject warning people of the difficulties. I therefore think the preferred component connection method just hides the limitations of the other connection methods. Not a good solution IMHO.

Re dead LCD pixels. This and every other board is littered with examples of major problems. Most are manufacturing faults but a significant quantity fail during use. It has driven many LCD projector owners nuts over the years. Things are much better now days but only yesterday I was offered a cheap VPL-VW10HT that had a block of 6 dead pixels in a group in the centre as the company couldn’t shift it to anyone. It was a hassle they didn’t want as a shop owner. Every new project needs to be checked before accepting it, IMHO.

Re Blacks. The VPL-W400Q is often quote as having better black performance than the VPL-VW10HT! See the Big picture glowing review of the VPL-VW10HT, it says

“I don't perceive the black level to be any improvement over the WVPL-W400Q Q and in fact, in my opinion, black level on the WVPL-W400Q Q might be marginally better. The unpublished contrast ratio of the VPL-VW10HT may be part of the problem here. Generally, if a manufacturer doesn't publish their contrast ratio numbers, there is probably a good reason...”

This was the major criticism of the VPL-VW10HT vs the VPL-W400Q reported to me. The fact Sony don’t quote any contrast ratio always worries me as this projector was aimed at Home Cinema fans (VPL-VW10HT) unlike the VPL-W400Q. The new projector was worse than the old one! How often does that happen?

Sony ditched the great BNC 75 Ohms connectors in favour of RCAs on the VPL-VW10HT. For me this shows complete ignorance of getting a good signal into the projector. I am not a fan of SCARTS, HD 15 and RCAs for high quality video signals. In fact I think they degrade the signal. There should always be a HQ solution. Others manufacturers please note aswell/

Dust is an issue with both projectors and caused many people major headaches. Preventative maintenance can keep this under control. The competition uses sealed optics, and solved the problem. Well done Sim2.

Punny triggers were improved with the VPL-VW10HT. A welcome step forward.

The haze on some was actually down to grease contamination on lenses. Personally, I call that another manufacturing fault and any amount of software fudges can’t solve these problems. Removal of grease would.

The staggered LCD array was addressed in the VPL-VW10HT, great for computer use but the RGB interface limited it’s effectiveness.

The VPL-VW10HT is brighter than it predecessor. Both have more than enough light for a light controlled room. The quote figure are way over generous however, and this effects the colour balance that many have adjust to great success with filters etc. When properly calibrated and run in cinema black mode the light output isn’t huge, but adequate for most if not all Home Cinema installation.

The switch to a new bulb technology was also a beneficial step forward, but still looks out of date against the big competition (Sim2) on both cost and life.

The achillies heel of the Sony WS projectors was always contrast / black issues. Whether this is an issue is a personal thing. The fact they make the replacement worse rather than better is something I struggle to cope with as a concept. I think this might be the over riding reason why some prefer the VPL-W400Q. I can understand their thinking. In other ways like sound levels, the VPL-VW10HT is a great step forwards. The case is not clear cut either way IMHO.

I personally think the VPL-VW10HT addressed only some of limitations of the VPL-W400Q and made others worse. I have higher hopes for the 11 replacement or the Sanyo competition. Sanyo have demonstrated a better understanding of what is important for a good Home Cinema picture to me, better, than Sony has ever done. I think they are reaping the benefits through sales now. I await the new Sony and Sanyo WS bulb LCD projectors with interest.