Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Videoplus

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by areuwithmee, Dec 30, 2004.

1. areuwithmee

areuwithmee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I've got a sony vcr, but when I set it to record with videoplus, it keeps recording a different channel. Any ideas?
    Also does videoplus work with freeview?

Thanks

2. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    To answer your second question - No, which is connected to the effect in the first part.

When you use Videoplus on the DVD it will normally set the recorder to the channel encoded in the VideoPlus number - the terrestrial TV channel number or the Freeview number. Channels 1 to 4 (and 5 in some areas) are the same in both systems. But anything else would be unknown to the DVD's tuner.

However, you may be able to change this so that when you use VideoPlus you get the timing OK but an actual channel of your choice. This is what Pioneers do.

It may sound daft, but it means that when I use VideoPlus (on a Pioneer) I always get L1 as the channel, because I want (mostly) to record from my Freeview box which is scart-connected to L1 (AV2). The DVD doesn't know anything about Freeview channels.

So by setting all my VideoPlus channels to L1 the machine will record from the Freeview box, whose timer I also have to set to the appropriate time and the correct Freeview channel (e.g. 1 = BBC1, 34 = ITV3 etc.).

The first time a VideoPlus code is used for a Freeview channel, the DVD may decode an unknown (terrestrial) channel number - e.g. 34. Then it shows blank in the channel number on the Confirmation screen. Setting L1 in this means that every subsequent time the DVD decodes 34 it will use L1.

For real terrestrial channels, if the DVD decodes 1 for BBC1, that would be OK if I wanted an analog recording. But if I want to record Freeview BBC1, I actually want L1 on the DVD, and will set the Freeview box timer to record BBC1. Changing it on the DVD Confirmation screen sets it to L1 for all subsequent VideoPlus numbers that result in channel 1.

If at some point I really want to record analog, I just change the L1 back to 1 (or 2 or 3 or 4)

3. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I omitted to notice you said VCR - but the effect would be the same as with a DVD.
    A recent Hitachi VCR channel selection system works just like I described.
    So where I put DVD, just substitute VCR.

4. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,324
    What you need to do is go into "Setup" or "Menu" and setup "Channel Mapping" or "Videoplus Mapping" or "Guideplus Mapping" they are just different names for the same thing which is to tell your machine that you have BBC1 on 001, BBC2 on 002, ITV on 003, CH4 on 004, and CH5 on 005.......this is how the Sony Vcr's do it.