1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Videoplus anomaly

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by xtopher, Mar 9, 2003.

Tags:
  1. xtopher

xtopher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Given that I entered the time and date correctly into my JVC SVHS 7955 can anyone explain the following:
    On Friday the 7th of Mar programming by Videoplus returned the correct channel, the time and length was incorrect and the date read the 8 of April!
    On Sat I tried again and it returned this time the wrong channel 123&4 (in order but out of sequence) but Chan 5 was correct, but all incorrect times and length and the date now read 9th of April.
    So I re-checked the clock set and found the date to have changed to the 9th of Mar! I corrected this and re-tested Videoplus and bingo everything is now working correctly. I am not a technophobe but am completely mystified.

I don't like not understanding if you get my meaning! Xtopher

2. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Your VCR probably pulls time/date updates from teletext signals on a regular basis, if the signal is corrupt for any reason it will set it incorrectly.

If your video allows you to choose the channel to autoupdate from, choose the one with the best reception otherwise switch off the feature.

Hope this helps ;)

3. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,770
    I've always found that Videoplus causes more problems than it solves. With modern VCRs I find it much easier to put in a start and end time rather than try to read a long numeric code without transposing any of the numbers.
    Where I live (North Notts) there is also the problem of whether you receive signals from Yorkshire or Central and what region the newspaper is quoting codes for - because that can totally knacker things up !

4. Pod Person

Pod Person

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Because of the above, I personally always set the clock to manual mode rather than auto on my panasonic machines. Don't know if you can do this on JVC machines though.

Manual means the clock bypasses the need for the teletext signal info.

5. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Erm, already duly pointed out: :zonked:

6. xtopher

xtopher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks rct, John G and Pod for taking the trouble - all suggestions duly noted, xtopher