1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Videoplus+ and Sky

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by tobyjuggler, Dec 3, 2004.

1. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

I understand how Videoplus+ works with the terrestrial channels, but I can't quite get my head around how it works with Sky. I have a Toshiba RD-XS32 HDD/DVD Recorder and there are spaces in the channel line-up in the recorder to put the Home Channel and Guide Channel for Videoplus+ and I've seen the Guide Channel list here, but I don't quite understand it. For example :

1.What is the difference between the Home Channel and the Guide Channel?
    2.How come they are different?
    3.How can they work together when my Sky box can only tune into one channel at a time?
    4.Where can I find Videoplus+ numbers for Sky rather than just the terrestrial ones?
    5.Am I actually looking at this the wrong way and should I just use the Videoplus+ numbers published for the terrestrial channels, then just change the channel number in the timer?

Thanks for any help received!

2. gbmitie

gbmitie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I had a quick look for u and I dont use videoplus but have done so in the past. The way I see it is u have to set up the recorder with the mapping code for each channel as they say on the site so say sky one put as 101 and then when u key in the video + code it will set the parameters for sky one on the recorder. However by my reckoning u will then have to use sky personal planner to switch on sky 1. This defeats me as it will then record through the coax so no stereo!!

I cant' see the bebefit using video + for sky. I use personal planner set to autoswitching and then manually set the video to av1 so I get stereo.

Sorry if I have missed something.

gbmitey

3. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for looking gbmitie. However, it is quite handy in a way as the Tosh XS32 has an infra-red out that is able to control the Sky STB, so being able to use Videoplus+ with Sky has its advantages. I assume that what it should do is put in the correct start and end times and then in the channel number on the timer it will put S106 (for Sky One) in the channel slot (this is what makes the Tosh send the command to the Sky box to change channel).

I say all this and in principle it's great, but in practice I have found the IR output to be not as reliable as one would hope and it doesn't always manage to change channel correctly!

So, I guess I'll just have to continue to do it manually, it's not like it takes any more time really than looking up the Videoplus+ number anyway and as PDC doesn't work on Sky anyway, I think I can manage.