1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Videologic DAB tuner

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by Neil69, Apr 27, 2002.

1. Neil69

Neil69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi, I'm thinking about buying a videologic DAB tuner. I was just wondering about the outside ariel I've got. It's a circular FM one, Will this work with DAB or will I have to change it alltogether? Also I have a Yammy AX-1 amp, when using a fibre optic lead for digital PCM sound, where should I connect it for the best results? This amp only has analog phono inputs for a radio tuner. Should I just stick to a good pair of phono leads?
    Cheers, Neil
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :cool: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

2. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dont' know about the ariel, but if your Yammy has assignable digital inputs, just assign it to the tuner.

If not. just use the next spare optical input you have and select that source to hear the digital transfer from the DAB.

Nathan

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The operating instructions (downloadable so you can check yerself) suggest trying an existing aerial (TV or FM) to see if you do get good results - there could never be any hard and fast on this issue.

Mike.

4. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I know something about this subject :)

DAB runs on Band 3 (about 220 MHz) rather more than twice the frequency of FM, so the aerials need to be half as big. The signal is vertically polarised too, so the aerial needs to be vertical.

OTOH DAB has been designed to be immune to multipath reception and for transmitters within about 50 miles of each other to add up signals rather than interfere, so in areas of adequate signal strength an omni directional aerial is best. The system only needs about 10 - 20 microvolts of signal to work reliably, compared with stereo FM which needs about 30 times more than that for full quieting. However current DAB transmitters have less power than FM ones.

The upshot of all this is to try your FM aerial first as there may be enough stray signal to make it work just fine. If not (indicated by no reception or burbling noises disturbing the audio) then get a proper DAB aerial.

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)

5. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The best quality DAB startions will stream at maximum 160kbps. For this quality of sound any odd cable will do. Wth regards to audio quality DAB in the UK is a big miss. Check http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/ for more information about DAB. If you are after high quality sound from the radio station yuo'll need to go to DSat.

6. Beamer

Beamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Neil, Just a thought.

If you are only thinking about it, you may want to check out using your Sky reciever if you have one for radio reception. I have the Technics digital tuner and feel that the Sky Sat receiver knocks the socks off the digital radio receiver reception!

FYI I am using a Sky+ receiver with a digital connect to the amplifer. I have not had my tuner on very much since I installed Sky+! I appreciate I do not have access to every station that the Technics tuner has but most of the important ones are there for free!

7. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Check out www.digitalradio.com for local transmitter info etc.

I'd like to go digital as it were, and this is the only! affordable DAB unit at the moment. I'd like to think that Arcam could produce something along the lines of the £300 mark when the market allows. I'm into badges. :D Hope you can do something about this Mr. Dawson.;)

8. GETanner

GETanner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I use my Sony DAB Radio off a standard FM aerial and get all the stations from Crystal Palace (20 miles away in that direction).

the aerial is horizontal.

Guy