video_ts, now what?

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by Legacy, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Legacy

Legacy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I'm in the process of ripping my DVD collection to an external HDD in order to play my DVD's through media centre software. At the moment I am using xbmc as my media centre, and I'm on MacOS X Tiger.
    My problem is that when I have ripped the DVD I have a Video_TS folder, and what I want is a single file playable through xbmc, however I want to retain the DVD quality of the original collection of .VOB files.

So if one of you kind souls could either point me towards a way to turn the contents of a Video_TS file into a single, dvd quality file OR tell me how to watch Video_TS files as a single movie in xbmc, it would be very much appreciated!

Thankyou!

2. marky.b

marky.b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    im not an expert although i do dabble a bit
    the only single file i can think of is converting the vob files in to avi , divx

3. Legacy

Legacy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hmm, I've thought about that, but won't that lessen the quality?

I'm not bothered about preserving menu's or special features on the disks as long as I have the main feature. Perhaps a way to convert several .vob files into one big .vob file might work, but I have no idea how to do that or what program to use...

4. StevieBuck

StevieBuck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +674
    If you convert to something like DivX then it will take quite some time to get through all your movies, and yes re-encoding to another format will always result in some form of quality loss.

Joining the .vob files to one big one should be easier and quicker. Something like this may be what you're looking for:

VOBMerge

Failing that have a look around the rest of the site at videohelp.com as I'm sure they'll have info on what you're trying to do.

5. Ribread

Ribread
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Not Sure if you have access to a Windows PC but this free program will convert a VOB set from A DVD to A single MPG file withou recompressing. Its called simple VOB2MPG 2.5. Scroll down for the free version which works very well at:

[Mod Comment: please don't post guides to re-authoring DVD'S]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2009
  6. wHoMe

wHoMe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Rip the DVD to an ISO not VIDEO_TS, then your have an exact copy of your DVD in a single file

ISO is just an archive containing everything in the VIDEO_TS file

7. tony_yates

tony_yates

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Yep, that's the way for a single file without compressing presvering all the menus, exact quality etc..

However, I have found that if you use a sensible bitrate it is possible to re-encode a DVD to an AVI keeping the quality high and the file size a lot smaller, obviously you lose the menus etc.

An an example, when I re-encode, I convert to XVID contained in an AVI file using a bitrate of the order 1200-1300 bps which generally results in a file size of approx 1.4GB, compared to the original movie of about 5GB - this is main movie only and the length of film has a bearing as well. I find at this bitrate the quality to be pretty close.

As an aside, the re-encoding takes a lot lot longer than a straight rip and with disk drives falling in price and going up in capacity it may not be worth it.

HTH,
    Tony

8. wHoMe

wHoMe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Yes but the OP didn't mention converting at all hence my reply

But if he did want to go down the Xvid/AVI route then I recommend using "AutoGK" which is about the best quality your get without doing a full manual rip

9. Legacy

Legacy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks for all your replies, I checked out some options and eventually found the program D-Vision, which has a VOB combining tool which seems to do the job.
    Thanks again!

10. marky.b

marky.b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13

is it possible to play an iso via the pc and media software

11. jameson_uk

jameson_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    Containers are the key here. MKV, AVI, MP4, ... are all containers (Comparison of container formats - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
    Containers can contain many sorts of video, audio, subtitles, chapters etc.

DVDs are MPEG2 video with possibly a DD or DTS soundtrack.

The simplest way to do this is just to rename the VOB file to mpg and it will work :D It gets slightly more complicated to remove trailers, subtitles, unwanted audio tracks etc but there is a question for a different forum....

If you want an exact copy you can take the MPEG2 stream off the DVD and put it into a different container. This is relatively quick as you are not actually changing the video just changing the container it is stored in.

Have a look at MKVMerge (part of the MKVToolNix pack). This will take a VOB and convert into a nice MKV in a few minutes.

12. mossym

mossym
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,797
    are you sure your front end doesn't support the video_ts folders? I have all mine ripped in this method and mediaportal has no problem with them