1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video8 to MiniDV...but camera's bust

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by frango, Aug 15, 2002.

1. frango

frango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have some precious family holiday footage recorded on a 1990 model Sony CCD-AU220 (UK equivalent F220) in Video8 format which I want to get onto my PC via a Sony PC100 (MiniDV).

Problem is my parents' old Video8 camera no longer works, and I've been quoted GBP£90 (USD$140) to fix it. I have asked around the office but nobody uses this size tape.

I am in a quandary: should I throw money at it or is it worth me buying them a new one?

I understand from another thread that a Digital-8 camera that uses Hi-8 tapes would be the best current format to buy, although I do not necessarily need to pay extra for Firewire as I can get to me PC via my PC100. Do you think a new Digital-8 camera would give a better quality output from an old Video-8 tape than the old (recently serviced) camera it was recorded on? Of course, picture quality is paramount.

Any views would be appreciated!

2. Slipperman

Slipperman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fixing the camera would then allow you to use your PC100 to do Analogue/Digital conversion which would get your footage onto the PC in DV format. Best quality would be via the S-video sockets.

Buying a Digital 8 camera would effectiviely do the same thing, and I doubt there would be a noticeable increasein quality, but why would you need a second digital camera?

The £90 option sound good, and you would still have a second camera (albeit lower quality) that you could use, say, when you are not too concerned if the camera got damaged.