1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video via ethernet?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by JetJockey, Aug 31, 2005.

1. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Is anybody out there managing to sucessfully stream films / music etc around the house and ultimately to the Hi Fi and Plasma display using a home computer network?

I would appreciate any information regards hardware (Servers etc) used and type of ethernet (10/100 or Gigabit Lan, or even wireless)!!

Many thanks, Gerald. :)

2. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,170
    100Mb networking should give you around the same data transfer as an ata100 hard drive (60Mb/s or thereabouts?) so you should be fine with that.

Gigabit is probably a better bet with HD stuff looming large on the horizon, Netgear make some very reliable 1000Mb network cards and switches, they hardly cost any more than 100Mb these days..

wireless should be fine for most things, but would struggle with HD from what I've read..?

3. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    I have streamed DVD film via 100Mb ethernet between PC's, with one connected to my TV and hifi for pictures and sound. You need at least 100Mbit fixed links or G wireless to do it, and more for high definition pictures. Mine was done via a router and simple file shares though a dedicated streaming server with bandwidth allocation would guarantee no glitches.

4. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +479
    I am doing exactly this at present mainly over 100Mb/s but am in the process of upgrading to Gigabit. Wireless is ruled out except for line of sight because of our solid walls & concrete floors/ceilings.

I have a couple of video sources a Windows XP Media Center Edition system with a single analogue tuner fed by a Sky digibox plus another system with a SkyStar 1 Satellite card with CI & a Dragon CAM running the My Theatre TV application with the AVBroadcast plug-in. This system can currently receive from two satellites Astra2/Eurobird & Hotbird.

I generally use Xboxes as clients as they are very cheap (last brand-new one cost 109 Euros or under 70 of your English pounds). A couple are connected to computer monitors using the X2VGA+ gizmo for HiDef quality. We use Xbox Media Center Extender to connect to the MCE machine &
    Xbox Media Center (XBMC) to connect to the system with the satellite card using the MyTheatre XBMC python script which allows you to change channels remotely. Apart from the Xboxes I can also use vlc from any PC in the house to connect to the SKyStar system. Other displays are the 46" 4:3 Sony RPTV in the living room driven by MCX plus a Panasonic PT-AE700 projector in the cinema room. Ashes cricket on the 10 foot screen is amazing!

Apart from TV playback of DivX, WMV, MP3 & other audio & vido sources is via the Xboxes using either MCX or XBMC.

5. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Hi Gerald,

I'm doing exactly this too. I just use a simple (read "cheap") network switch and cabled 100MB network. works a treat and has been fine for hidef, dvd or music to the single client I currently have.