1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video Transfer Hardware Requirements

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by chrisp, Feb 22, 2003.

1. chrisp

chrisp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a selection of home videos and also tapes from my camcorder that I wish to transfer and write to either DVD/SVCD.

A few years ago I had a Miro Video capture card that I used to transfer from the camcorder to the PC with the intention of creating VHS videos but this wouldn't work from Windows ME onwards.

I'm now running XP Pro, with an AMD Athlon XP 1800+ processor, 128Mb of DDR RAM and suffcient hard drive capacity. I have a Voodoo 3 3000 AGP video card with 16Mb of RAM which doesn't have any TV inputs or other ways of capturing video. I have spare USB ports (not USB 2 at the moment).

Would like some help on what I need to capture from the video recorder and camcorder so I can then write to DVD/SVCD (I have a CD rewriter).

Would I need to ditch my Voodo card or is there something I can add to my system that will work in conjunction with the Voodoo?

I'd like to keep to a fairly low budget if possible as I'm not sure how much use I will make of it once, hopefully, the videos etc are transferred to DVD/SVCD.

Thanks

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    To be able to capture analogue (from VCR etc) video and from your camcorder (you do not say if the camcorder is DV or analogue) you will need a capture card similar to the Pinnacle Studio DV Deluxe for £199.75inc VAT from www.dabs.co.uk
    This card will plug into a spare PCI slot inside your PC and the supplied software is very good.
    Video capture via USB is only possible with analogue video and costs will be about the same as the above. Dazzle Digital Video Creator 150 at around £200 is one such product. It will work with USB1.1 but USB 2.0 is recommended and a minimum of 128Mb RAM (recommend 256Mb). The only real advantage of this is that you will not need to open the case of your PC!
    I believe that your video card would be ok for editing and a USB 2.0 card can be added for around £15.

If your camcorder is a digital model then you can use that to convert your analogue footage to DV and transfer to the PC via a cheap DV only capture card (£20 - £30) which will come with some basic software or if not us MS Movie Maker (download version 2 free from their web site). This is obviously the cheapest option, but only if your camcorder is digital!

Good luck
    Mark.

3. chrisp

chrisp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info Mark.

Haven't had the chance yet to follow it up but will do so shortly.

My camcorder is analogue so am I reading your reply correctly that I can capture via the USB port or should that have read digital

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    YES! Only analogue can be captured via USB. Digital (DV) needs a lot more speed to be copied onto a PC than either USB 1.1 or 2.0 can deliver.

Mark.